Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tangent lines display options

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
chad38
1551 Views, 2 Replies

tangent lines display options

Hello, new to the forum here, and haven't used inventor much since school. I used Solid Edge for my entire professional career. One thing that is driving me batty is how, when necessary in a view for clarity, tangent lines are displayed and how to change them, or at the very least, come up with a work around to display them how is needed. In general, tangent lines are first, supposed to be of thinner lineweight, but also, are not supposed to extend all the way across the surface of a part, they are to leave a small gap.

I have found and tried the option of displaying tangent lines, and also have checked the forshorten option. The issue is, in many of the parts the gap produced in HUGE. So I've spent a few hours tinkering, and I finally decided to try and define a new linetype using autocad express tools. So I tried this, but to my dismay I haven't been able to set up a linetype that only has a gap at the end. See attached jpeg for illustration.

Can anybody help me here? As I said, I might as well be new to Inventor, so I'm sure some of you guys have figured out plenty that I haven't even gotten close to thinking about. Much like if the roles were reversed and this was a Solid Edge forum.

Sorry if any of this came across as pretentious.

Thanks,

Chard

HP Z420 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1603 0 @ 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
12.0 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Inventor Professional 2015
Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
ben_neb43
in reply to: chad38

I don't think it's possible to change that distance.

According to this forum post http://www.mcadforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11517

That distance works out to be the tangent edge distance divided by 20.

Maybe there's someone else who can shed light on this?

Message 3 of 3
chad38
in reply to: ben_neb43

Thank you for responding! I've found this as well.

Perhaps one of you can help me in a work around I'm kicking around. I've decided that perhaps the best way to make the tangent lines display as I want them would to be to create a new line type. Is it possible, using autocad, to create a linetype that is a solid line and only has a gap at the ends? I understand that you cannot begin the line with an "actual" gap, but starting with a dot on the end would be fine. However I don't know if I can create a line that doesn't repeat the dot-gap-solidline-gap-dot multiple times when drawing only one line? Is it possible to do this?

HP Z420 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1603 0 @ 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
12.0 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Inventor Professional 2015
Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report