Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Performance

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
165 Views, 10 Replies

System Performance

I have got an assembly of 1158 parts (post stats=on). This is a typical assembly of mine that has several nuts, bolts, washers and other iParts. No adaptive parts. All of these parts reside on our server. When I open this assembly, it takes Inventor 59 seconds to open it. I was wondering if this is a typical speed that others experience with a model of a similar size? Kirk -- Inventor R8 Dell 4550 WinXP Pro P4, 2.8 Ghz, 1G Quadro 900 XGL nVidia v6.14.10.4403 1280x1024, 32 bit
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

That doesn't seem too bad to me. I've got a 3,500 piece assembly that takes probably 2 minutes to open. Jim "Kirk A." wrote in message news:401812ae$1_3@newsprd01... > I have got an assembly of 1158 parts (post stats=on). This is a typical > assembly of mine that has several nuts, bolts, washers and other iParts. No > adaptive parts. All of these parts reside on our server. When I open this > assembly, it takes Inventor 59 seconds to open it. > > I was wondering if this is a typical speed that others experience with a > model of a similar size? > > Kirk > -- > Inventor R8 > Dell 4550 > WinXP Pro > P4, 2.8 Ghz, 1G > Quadro 900 XGL > nVidia v6.14.10.4403 > 1280x1024, 32 bit > >
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

I just open an assembly with about 1725 parts and it takes about 30 to 45 seconds to open. So you might have to see if your network card is configured to be 100 Mbps full duplex or leave as Auto Detect (that is how mine is set up). I am sure you will see the difference if you had 1000Mbps network speed. I wish I had that but it will cost a fortune to upgrade. I guess yours is as normal as mine so don't worry. -- Derek Sevier Mechanical Design Engineer Quality Corporation derek dot s at donkeyforklift dot com www.donkeyforklift.com "Kirk A." wrote in message news:401812ae$1_3@newsprd01... > I have got an assembly of 1158 parts (post stats=on). This is a typical > assembly of mine that has several nuts, bolts, washers and other iParts. No > adaptive parts. All of these parts reside on our server. When I open this > assembly, it takes Inventor 59 seconds to open it. > > I was wondering if this is a typical speed that others experience with a > model of a similar size? > > Kirk > -- > Inventor R8 > Dell 4550 > WinXP Pro > P4, 2.8 Ghz, 1G > Quadro 900 XGL > nVidia v6.14.10.4403 > 1280x1024, 32 bit > >
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

My connection is at 100Mbps. I checked the configuration and it was at "Autodetect". Just for kicks, I changed it to "100Mbps/Full Duplex". Rebooted and now the assembly opens in 56 sec. Not a realy difference (5%) Any ideas on what may be slowing me down? I am only about 100 ft. from the server. What about the wiring between me and the hub, what is the best wire to use? Any other factors? Kirk "Derek Sevier" wrote in message news:401827e7$1_2@newsprd01... > I just open an assembly with about 1725 parts and it takes about 30 to 45 > seconds to open. So you might have to see if your network card is configured > to be 100 Mbps full duplex or leave as Auto Detect (that is how mine is set > up). I am sure you will see the difference if you had 1000Mbps network > speed. I wish I had that but it will cost a fortune to upgrade. I guess > yours is as normal as mine so don't worry. > > -- > Derek Sevier > Mechanical Design Engineer > Quality Corporation > derek dot s at donkeyforklift dot com > www.donkeyforklift.com > > > "Kirk A." wrote in message > news:401812ae$1_3@newsprd01... > > I have got an assembly of 1158 parts (post stats=on). This is a typical > > assembly of mine that has several nuts, bolts, washers and other iParts. > No > > adaptive parts. All of these parts reside on our server. When I open > this > > assembly, it takes Inventor 59 seconds to open it. > > > > I was wondering if this is a typical speed that others experience with a > > model of a similar size? > > > > Kirk > > -- > > Inventor R8 > > Dell 4550 > > WinXP Pro > > P4, 2.8 Ghz, 1G > > Quadro 900 XGL > > nVidia v6.14.10.4403 > > 1280x1024, 32 bit > > > > > >
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

You are using a hub, not a switch? Switch is alittle faster than a hub because it helps detect collisions and keep the flow thru easier. Hubs doesn't do that and slows things down alittle bit. I don't think there is such a thing as a better or higher quality network cable. I have no idea what I am using but it seems to be running fine as far as there are about fifteen computers here connected to the network. We only have three workstations using Inventor and the others for the MRP system. I don't think 100 feet from the server is a problem at all. I believe that you need to be less than 200 ft from the hub or server (if you are connected directly to it). Derek Sevier "Kirk A." wrote in message news:40183482_1@newsprd01... > My connection is at 100Mbps. I checked the configuration and it was at > "Autodetect". Just for kicks, I changed it to "100Mbps/Full Duplex". > Rebooted and now the assembly opens in 56 sec. Not a realy difference (5%) > > Any ideas on what may be slowing me down? I am only about 100 ft. from the > server. What about the wiring between me and the hub, what is the best wire > to use? Any other factors? > > Kirk > > "Derek Sevier" wrote in message > news:401827e7$1_2@newsprd01... > > I just open an assembly with about 1725 parts and it takes about 30 to 45 > > seconds to open. So you might have to see if your network card is > configured > > to be 100 Mbps full duplex or leave as Auto Detect (that is how mine is > set > > up). I am sure you will see the difference if you had 1000Mbps network > > speed. I wish I had that but it will cost a fortune to upgrade. I guess > > yours is as normal as mine so don't worry. > > > > -- > > Derek Sevier > > Mechanical Design Engineer > > Quality Corporation > > derek dot s at donkeyforklift dot com > > www.donkeyforklift.com > > > > > > "Kirk A." wrote in message > > news:401812ae$1_3@newsprd01... > > > I have got an assembly of 1158 parts (post stats=on). This is a typical > > > assembly of mine that has several nuts, bolts, washers and other iParts. > > No > > > adaptive parts. All of these parts reside on our server. When I open > > this > > > assembly, it takes Inventor 59 seconds to open it. > > > > > > I was wondering if this is a typical speed that others experience with a > > > model of a similar size? > > > > > > Kirk > > > -- > > > Inventor R8 > > > Dell 4550 > > > WinXP Pro > > > P4, 2.8 Ghz, 1G > > > Quadro 900 XGL > > > nVidia v6.14.10.4403 > > > 1280x1024, 32 bit > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 6 of 11
rllthomas

100 mbit connection should transfer files at about 30 mbit. Assuming 8 bits per byte your network can xfer 210 mbytes in 56 seconds. IV of course has some processing to do but this just doesn't sound out of line to me. How big are the combined files?
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

You should be using a minimum of CAT5 cable. Look here for some info on cable specs: http://discountcablesusa.com/ethernet-cables.html However, there are many other factors that could be affecting your network performance. These include overall network traffic, the network architecture (hubs, routers, switches, cabling, subnetting), the number of users hitting the same server that you use for IV at any given time, the speed of that server, the types and number of hard drives used in your server, your RAID configuration, etc. If you want to see what the optimum open time for that project is on your computer, copy all of the files to your local hard drive and open the assembly from there. That would give you a pretty good idea of how much delay is introduced by your network. Blane
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

Wow ! I have assemblies in that size that take from 15 to infinitive minuttes to open... I figured I spend about 1-2 hours a day depending on how many different projects I'm working on waiting for assemblies (or idws) to open...(and yes I have forwarded that info to the ones with money.) Xp pro PIII Xeon 933 Elsa Gloria II Pro - 44.03 36gb scsi 10k rpm 1280*1024 32 100mbit Regards, Jorgen Hauan "Kirk A." wrote in message news:401812ae$1_3@newsprd01... > I have got an assembly of 1158 parts (post stats=on). This is a typical > assembly of mine that has several nuts, bolts, washers and other iParts. No > adaptive parts. All of these parts reside on our server. When I open this > assembly, it takes Inventor 59 seconds to open it. > > I was wondering if this is a typical speed that others experience with a > model of a similar size? > > Kirk > -- > Inventor R8 > Dell 4550 > WinXP Pro > P4, 2.8 Ghz, 1G > Quadro 900 XGL > nVidia v6.14.10.4403 > 1280x1024, 32 bit > >
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

Sorry to mislead you, but I am using a switch (HP Procurve 4000m). The cables we have are CAT5. I guess this is about as good as it gets with 100Mmps. Next stop would be 1000Mbps, but that would be expensive. Thanks, Kirk "Derek Sevier" wrote in message news:401837cd$1_2@newsprd01... > You are using a hub, not a switch? Switch is alittle faster than a hub > because it helps detect collisions and keep the flow thru easier. Hubs > doesn't do that and slows things down alittle bit. > > I don't think there is such a thing as a better or higher quality network > cable. I have no idea what I am using but it seems to be running fine as far > as there are about fifteen computers here connected to the network. We only > have three workstations using Inventor and the others for the MRP system. > > I don't think 100 feet from the server is a problem at all. I believe that > you need to be less than 200 ft from the hub or server (if you are connected > directly to it). > > Derek Sevier > > "Kirk A." wrote in message > news:40183482_1@newsprd01... > > My connection is at 100Mbps. I checked the configuration and it was at > > "Autodetect". Just for kicks, I changed it to "100Mbps/Full Duplex". > > Rebooted and now the assembly opens in 56 sec. Not a realy difference > (5%) > > > > Any ideas on what may be slowing me down? I am only about 100 ft. from the > > server. What about the wiring between me and the hub, what is the best > wire > > to use? Any other factors? > > > > Kirk > > > > "Derek Sevier" wrote in message > > news:401827e7$1_2@newsprd01... > > > I just open an assembly with about 1725 parts and it takes about 30 to > 45 > > > seconds to open. So you might have to see if your network card is > > configured > > > to be 100 Mbps full duplex or leave as Auto Detect (that is how mine is > > set > > > up). I am sure you will see the difference if you had 1000Mbps network > > > speed. I wish I had that but it will cost a fortune to upgrade. I guess > > > yours is as normal as mine so don't worry. > > > > > > -- > > > Derek Sevier > > > Mechanical Design Engineer > > > Quality Corporation > > > derek dot s at donkeyforklift dot com > > > www.donkeyforklift.com > > > > > > > > > "Kirk A." wrote in message > > > news:401812ae$1_3@newsprd01... > > > > I have got an assembly of 1158 parts (post stats=on). This is a > typical > > > > assembly of mine that has several nuts, bolts, washers and other > iParts. > > > No > > > > adaptive parts. All of these parts reside on our server. When I open > > > this > > > > assembly, it takes Inventor 59 seconds to open it. > > > > > > > > I was wondering if this is a typical speed that others experience with > a > > > > model of a similar size? > > > > > > > > Kirk > > > > -- > > > > Inventor R8 > > > > Dell 4550 > > > > WinXP Pro > > > > P4, 2.8 Ghz, 1G > > > > Quadro 900 XGL > > > > nVidia v6.14.10.4403 > > > > 1280x1024, 32 bit > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

Yeah, you are right... There is probably nothing you can do about it... It is probably the fastest you can get except for the 1 Gig network system... The components that you have for the network is pretty much what I have. We are using CAT5 cables, of course, and Linksys EtherFast 16 Port Ethernet Switch. -- Derek Sevier Mechanical Design Engineer Quality Corporation derek dot s at donkeyforklift dot com www.donkeyforklift.com "Kirk A." wrote in message news:40191348_2@newsprd01... > Sorry to mislead you, but I am using a switch (HP Procurve 4000m). The > cables we have are CAT5. > > I guess this is about as good as it gets with 100Mmps. Next stop would be > 1000Mbps, but that would be expensive. > > Thanks, > Kirk > > "Derek Sevier" wrote in message > news:401837cd$1_2@newsprd01... > > You are using a hub, not a switch? Switch is alittle faster than a hub > > because it helps detect collisions and keep the flow thru easier. Hubs > > doesn't do that and slows things down alittle bit. > > > > I don't think there is such a thing as a better or higher quality network > > cable. I have no idea what I am using but it seems to be running fine as > far > > as there are about fifteen computers here connected to the network. We > only > > have three workstations using Inventor and the others for the MRP system. > > > > I don't think 100 feet from the server is a problem at all. I believe that > > you need to be less than 200 ft from the hub or server (if you are > connected > > directly to it). > > > > Derek Sevier > > > > "Kirk A." wrote in message > > news:40183482_1@newsprd01... > > > My connection is at 100Mbps. I checked the configuration and it was at > > > "Autodetect". Just for kicks, I changed it to "100Mbps/Full Duplex". > > > Rebooted and now the assembly opens in 56 sec. Not a realy difference > > (5%) > > > > > > Any ideas on what may be slowing me down? I am only about 100 ft. from > the > > > server. What about the wiring between me and the hub, what is the best > > wire > > > to use? Any other factors? > > > > > > Kirk > > > > > > "Derek Sevier" wrote in message > > > news:401827e7$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > I just open an assembly with about 1725 parts and it takes about 30 to > > 45 > > > > seconds to open. So you might have to see if your network card is > > > configured > > > > to be 100 Mbps full duplex or leave as Auto Detect (that is how mine > is > > > set > > > > up). I am sure you will see the difference if you had 1000Mbps network > > > > speed. I wish I had that but it will cost a fortune to upgrade. I > guess > > > > yours is as normal as mine so don't worry. > > > > > > > > -- > > > > Derek Sevier > > > > Mechanical Design Engineer > > > > Quality Corporation > > > > derek dot s at donkeyforklift dot com > > > > www.donkeyforklift.com > > > > > > > > > > > > "Kirk A." wrote in message > > > > news:401812ae$1_3@newsprd01... > > > > > I have got an assembly of 1158 parts (post stats=on). This is a > > typical > > > > > assembly of mine that has several nuts, bolts, washers and other > > iParts. > > > > No > > > > > adaptive parts. All of these parts reside on our server. When I > open > > > > this > > > > > assembly, it takes Inventor 59 seconds to open it. > > > > > > > > > > I was wondering if this is a typical speed that others experience > with > > a > > > > > model of a similar size? > > > > > > > > > > Kirk > > > > > -- > > > > > Inventor R8 > > > > > Dell 4550 > > > > > WinXP Pro > > > > > P4, 2.8 Ghz, 1G > > > > > Quadro 900 XGL > > > > > nVidia v6.14.10.4403 > > > > > 1280x1024, 32 bit > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

The total size of all files (iam and ipt) is around 30 meg. If the xfer rate is that high, seems that most of the load time is taken up processing the info. Kirk "rllthomas" wrote in message news:27542092.1075514086066.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > 100 mbit connection should transfer files at about 30 mbit. Assuming 8 bits per byte your network can xfer 210 mbytes in 56 seconds. IV of course has some processing to do but this just doesn't sound out of line to me. How big are the combined files?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums