Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sync .idw iProperties with the .ipt?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
CharmPeddler
1043 Views, 17 Replies

sync .idw iProperties with the .ipt?

hi guys, this is my first post on these forums. I was led here by an instructor of mine a few days ago. So far i have a learned a lot.

i would like to be able to make a change in iProperties ( part #, description, stock number), and then automate/sync that change to the .idw of that part/project after the .idw is created.

is this possible? do i just need to fill out the iProperties BEFORE i make the .idw,

I really hope this is possible, we are going back and reorganizing all of our previous work and putting everything in vault now.

thanks for any and all help.
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
CharmPeddler
in reply to: CharmPeddler

well, i think i have solved my own problem. thought i dont like the answer. seems i can do this with 2009 and a subscription. too bad i have version 11 of inventor.

[http://discussion.autodesk.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=6090775]

that was a few months ago, so if anyone has a update, or a work around pls lemme know. thanks
Message 3 of 18
jlackey4740

So, are you saying you want the iproperties of the ipt to populate the iproperties of the dwg, or you have a title block that you want to automatically fill out with the properties of the ipt?
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous

Should be able to do it with Inventor 11 as well.

--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified
Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified
Expert.
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr. Tel. (260) 399-6615
AIP 2008 SP3,
AIP 2009-SP1 PcCillin AV
HP zv5000  AMD64 2GB - Geforce Go 440, Driver:
XP Pro SP3, Windows XP Silver Theme

href="http://teknigroup.com">http://teknigroup.com
Message 5 of 18
CharmPeddler

yes i would like the iProperties of the ipt to populate the iproperties of the dwg.
Message 6 of 18
jlackey4740

Yeah, it should work. Fill out the Iprops of the part, and once you bring it into the drawing most of it should populate. If it's linked to the part, it should update automatically once you update and save the part, but if you just copy and paste the Iproperties it won't. However, you have to tell the dwg to retrieve the data from the ipt, and then set that up as a template. You may be able to go back to your old drawings once you create a template, and then update the styles in the drawing to the new template, but I'm not for certain about that. Edited by: jlackey4740 on Apr 7, 2009 2:57 PM
Message 7 of 18
pgannon18

The iProperties of the drawing do not update automatically unless you have an add-on. It will only update at first view creation. After that, with earlier versions at least, you need an add-on to have changes in part iProperties update the drawing iProperties.

Dennis, is that what you meant when you said it should work in IV11 as well, or is there something I don't know about? Or is this a vault thing? In which case, ignore everything I've said.
Message 8 of 18
mboelke

If you go to your idw template then go into Tools > Document Settings then go to the Drawing Tab on the bottom is a button you can click that says "Copy Model iProperties Settings" which will open a window that you can check which iproperties from your model you want to copy. This is for Version IV2009. Never saw it on an earlier version. I did this on our template so that we only have to fill out the iproperties once. See attached.
Message 9 of 18
pgannon18

So after the drawing is created, if you go back and change the part/assembly iProps, does it update the drawing iProps automatically?
Message 10 of 18
mcgyvr

Changing a models iprops after drawing creation will still update the drawing.. On eariler versions like 11 there was a bug sort of in that occasionally they will not update but closing the drawing and reopening and they will update. No addin required

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 11 of 18
mboelke

Just checked and it does not update the idw iproperties if you change them within the ipt/iam. Just initially copies them.
Message 12 of 18
pgannon18

I also tried, and it did not, even if I close the drawing and re-open. That functionality was never able to update automatically. That's why we use an add-on called Custom property copy. Every time the drawing is activated (open or window switch) the custom properties in the part/assembly are copied to the drawing.
Message 13 of 18
nbradbury

While in the drawing environment if you go to Tools>Document Settings and then select the Drawing tab there is a button at the bottom that says "Copy Model iProperty Settings..." This allows you to choose what model iProperties are initially copied to the drawing, note that is initially, the iProperties in the drawing will not update.

With the Bonus Pack for subscription users in 2009 you could download an addin that created a new button in the Tools menu called "Update Copied Model iProperties". If you modify the ipt or iam then open the drawing you can use this tool to update the drawing iproperties, it is still not automatic and it has bugs. If you create a block in model space using AutoCAD Mechanical then the tool stops working. I have not installed 2010 yet so I don't know if the "Update Copied Model iProperties" is included and I don't know if it has the bugs worked out yet.

In short, there is no automatic update and you can only force it with 2009 or newer.

Cheers

Nathan
Message 14 of 18
Anonymous

I meant that utilizing model properties inside of your IDW
drawing allows syncing of those iProperties in the model to the
drawing

--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified
Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified
Expert.
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr. Tel. (260) 399-6615
AIP 2008 SP3,
AIP 2009-SP1 PcCillin AV
HP zv5000  AMD64 2GB - Geforce Go 440, Driver:
XP Pro SP3, Windows XP Silver Theme

href="http://teknigroup.com">http://teknigroup.com
Message 15 of 18
spankyrox

The Update copied Properties button is standard in 2010 under the manage tab in an .idw.
Message 16 of 18
wseaston
in reply to: mboelke

Hi Dennis,

Does that mean that in order for the property to update automatically, that the drawing iproperty must be used on the drawing sheet?

In our case, we don't use any of the drawing iproperties in the drawing title block. Instead we use the iproperties directly from the model.

The issue is that I need the properties between the ipt & idw syncronised automatically for the sake of vault searching. Currently, if I have the project field populated in the ipt and then I search in vault for that project, only the ipt appears in the search results.

I know that I can update them manually but I am trying to find an automated solution.

I have tried an iLogic rule, however, I had a problem with the one I created. The sync workd well, however, when it was active the drawing was always in a cycle of requesting that I save it even though it had just been saved before I was attempting to close the file.

Message 17 of 18
CAD-One
in reply to: nbradbury

@nbradbury wrote:
While in the drawing environment if you go to Tools>Document Settings and then select the Drawing tab there is a button at the bottom that says "Copy Model iProperty Settings..." This allows you to choose what model iProperties are initially copied to the drawing, note that is initially, the iProperties in the drawing will not update.

With the Bonus Pack for subscription users in 2009 you could download an addin that created a new button in the Tools menu called "Update Copied Model iProperties". If you modify the ipt or iam then open the drawing you can use this tool to update the drawing iproperties, it is still not automatic and it has bugs. If you create a block in model space using AutoCAD Mechanical then the tool stops working. I have not installed 2010 yet so I don't know if the "Update Copied Model iProperties" is included and I don't know if it has the bugs worked out yet.

In short, there is no automatic update and you can only force it with 2009 or newer.

Just curious if there was an improvement on this feature.

Does anyone know if its possible to automatically sync (not manually clicking a button) model & drawing properties now?

C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 18 of 18
johnsonshiue
in reply to: CAD-One

Hi Guys,

I could be wrong but I thought such workflow already existed. Open a drawing template or a drawing file. Go to Tools -> Doc Settings -> Drawing -> click Copy Model iProperty Settings -> check "Copy Model iProperties" -> check "All Properties" -> Ok -> Close. Save the template or the file. When the first view is created, the model properties will be copied over to the drawing properties.

Is this not working as it should? I will need to see a defective example.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report