Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symmetric constraint on a 3D body

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
908 Views, 5 Replies

Symmetric constraint on a 3D body

Hi, I am wondering if it is possible (and how) to force a 3D body to be symmetric about a plane. I tried the following:
- created a sketch for 1/2 of the body, and rotated it 360 degrees around its rotation symmetry axis
- then mirrored the 1/2 of the body about a plane (which is perpendicular to the previous rotation symmetry axis)
Everything nice so far. However, if I make tapped holes on one side, these holes do not appear on the other side. I would like my solid to remain symmetric, i.e. whenever I create a feature on one half, it should automatically appear on the other side.
Thanks a lot
Daniel
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
harco
in reply to: Anonymous

If you can, pull the holes feature above the mirror feature.
Probably won't work, so pull up end of part above mirror then make you holes and pull down end of part below mirror.
Make sure mirror is entire solid and not just features.
This should work.
Any features that need to be mirrored must exist before the mirror or they cannot be selected.

edit
If the hole is not based on features in the mirror it can be pulled up, also if as I said the mirror is "entire solid" not just features the hole will be added to the mirror automatically.
see image Edited by: harco on Feb 1, 2010 10:02 PM
Message 3 of 6
Paul.Normand

The statement - "Any features that need to be mirrored must exist before the mirror or they cannot be selected." is true. The key word in the statement is "selected". Inventor never automatically adds features to a mirror - the user must select them.

Best Regards,

Paul Normand (Autodesk)

Paul Normand
Principal Content Developer/SME
Design Lifecycle and Simulation (DLS)
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Hi,
Thanks for the answers. The 'pull up the End of object' approach proved to be useful and working, and got me (a newbie) closer to understanding the way Investor works.
The 'pull up the features you want to mirror above the mirror operation' does not work (as predicted by the author itself :-), although it also seems to be logical, thinking in terms of a sequence of operations on the object. Could be a nice feature to add, if not conflicting with other things.
Thanks again.
Daniel
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

You cannot drag a feature that is dependent on another feature above the
feature that "owns" the dependency. Hope this is understandable....

Sometimes the dependency can be reassigned to another feature higher in
the tree.
--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert
Attend the "It's a Duesy II " Manufacturing Revival Conference
March 17th, 2010 More Information at:
http://teknigroup.com

Subscribe to the free "The Creative Inventor Magazine now available at:
htttp://teknigroup.com
Message 6 of 6
JDMather

>'pull up the features you want to mirror above the mirror operation' does not work

Well as Paul pointed out, it probably will work, but these were not a part of your selection set to begin with so you simply need to edit the Mirror feature to update the selection set.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report