Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching to Inventor 2013 - Content Center, Libraries, Templates etc.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Infoseeker
510 Views, 2 Replies

Switching to Inventor 2013 - Content Center, Libraries, Templates etc.

We are switching to Vault & Inventor 2013.

Using previous versions, we have added a lots of custom parts to Content Center, Libraries (Vault), we also have custom templates.

Can anyone describe what would be the safest way to migrate all necesery data to 2013 Inventor version?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Cadmanto
in reply to: Infoseeker

We had our VAR in our facility last month descussing this very topic.

What they told us is the migration from 2012 to 2013 should bring all of those

kinds of things over (i.e. libraries, CC).  As far as the templates they told us once

2013 is loaded,  to simply call up each template and resave it in the new version.

One thing I would add is if there are personal settings on each machine, make sure those

individual settings are saved to a file.  Then they can be reinstalled once 2013 is fully loaded.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 3
BLHDrafting
in reply to: Infoseeker

I agree with Scott. And add a couple of notes.

Make sure you have a backup before the migration. Then make a backup of the backup.

Use your VAR to handle the database migration which will include the custom CC stuff.

Use task Scheduler to migrate your files. We only batch process Library files and handle Project files as we open them, mainly because they are historic and not used every day like Library files (we have 2 project files, Library and Projects). Task Scheduler can be a bit of a pain so only migrate about 500 files at a time. It can be run on several machines concurrently though to help speed things up. Best to do overnight when no other user is accessing the database.

We have done this 4 times now with minimal troubles. 1 key note is when using Task Scheduler and migrating IDW files to look at the options and consider the SET DEFER UPDATE setting (I think I have it named wrong but you will find it). In some versions it is on by default so after the migration each time an IDW is opened it gives a warning message and you have to manually turn the DEFER UPDATES off. A pain for the unknowing.

Best of luck. I will be going through this again next Feb for 2012 to 2013 upgrade.

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report