Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching a derived parts' base part.

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
1548 Views, 8 Replies

Switching a derived parts' base part.

How do I swap out the part that a derived part is made from. In Inventor 11 you could do this with design assistant and it's manage tab. I'm using 2010 now and can seem to find an easy way of accomplishing this task. I hope this option hasn't been removed.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
harco
in reply to: Anonymous

Are you sure you could do that in Inv 11?

You could try the file rename trick.

Copy the original,
Rename the original,
Open the derived part and resolve to copied part.
Save derived part.
Reset original name.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

Yes, I'm positive I could do it with Inventor 11. Thanks for the reply, I do know of this trick. In Inventor 11, Design assistant would give you the option of replacing the file that the derived part was a child of. It was very simple, but I don't see it anywhere.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Hi
The rename trick method works on INV 2009, I used it many times.
But now I want to use the same method on INV 2010 and doesn't work.(All the export objects such as planes, sketch, etc. are the same in both base parts)

I got the next message : "The resolved document is not usable"

Can someone help me please

Regards
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Try creating a shortcut to "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2010\bin\DtDv.exe".
This will allow you to swap out the derived part's parent or "made from" part.

Len
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

When I try replace the derived base part with the Design Assistant now I got the next message: "An error occurred replacing.. bla bla bla.................. Please make sure the replacement file has the same database id."

I think this id can't be edited, right?
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

Are both of the parts located in the same place? This may be the cause of the error if they aren't.
Is there anyway you can "sign" them out to the same place then try the replace? Or you could copy/save as, then rename the file and try it again. I've seen the error you spoke of before. I usually replace same geometry for same geometry then make any changes after the replace is completed. Inventor seems to have a problem replacing drastically different geometry. Hope this helps.
Message 8 of 9
shekarsub[Autodesk]

The ID can't be edited. Once you derive A.ipt into B.ipt, in B.ipt we remember the database ID. If you save copy as A.ipt as A1.ipt then you should be able to replace A.ipt with A1.ipt. You cannot replace a totally different file C.ipt for A.ipt. Hope this helps.

Regards
shekar
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: shekarsub[Autodesk]

I believe these two options mentioned above will get the job done.

Also, Design Assistant can be found at Start, All Programs, Autodesk, Inventor 2010, Design Assistant.

Do yourself a favor and make a desktop shortcut.

Design Assistant can also be accessed from within Inventor, through the Menu, Manage tab, but I've noticed that if you use this option, Design Assistant will open without the Manage button on the left and that's the one button you need.

I don't know why this happens, maybe it's a bug.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report