Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swept tube insert assembly [inventor]

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
BrandonCampanileAE
641 Views, 13 Replies

Swept tube insert assembly [inventor]

Alright. I have a rod with a diameter of 1.5 inches swept over 23 degrees of a circle with a radius of 21.466 inches. I need to insert this into what I like to call part X. For the purposes of this post, i'll simplify and say part x is just a block with the closest face being 7.5 degrees off the y axis. The block has a thickness of 6 dregrees and the center is 21.466 inches from the origin. this part is then mirrored across the y-axis. To make a hole in both sides of part X I made a circle on the y axis with 1.5 inch diameter 21.466 inches from the origin. Then on the xy axis I made 23 degrees of circle with a radius 21.466 inches. Then I made a cut sweet of the 1.5 inch diameter circle over the 23 degree part. 

Now I'm in an assembly and I want to constrain the rod into part X such that it can still rotate over the rod's sweep axis. Insert isn't working. I can get it constrained by mating the end of the rod to the inside of part X and then constraining a part of the rod i did not metion to the center point of the cut in part X with a 2.3 inch offset. However, this constraint has a interference of 0.001 in^3 and the rod will not rotate around the sweep axis. 

Can anybody help with this?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Attach your assembly here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 14

Here are the files. nozzle has the rod. 

Let me just add: I have no idea how to make a pack and go file. I got so many error messages, but i think i've attached the right one. If not then also help me with that.

**Edit: I can't add ipj files anyways.

Message 4 of 14

I am having a hard time understanding what it is that you need. 

Do you wan to constain the parts to simulate rotation of Nozzle around part X ? So you can increase / decrease the diameter of the blower (or whatever it is) ?

I have created work points on both parts to use as constrain reference. I think you could have pattern the nozzle with part x and get away with just 2 constrains.

Your part X is made out of 2 separate bodyes.

60.jpg

61.jpg

62.jpg

63.jpg

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
Message 5 of 14

Exactly. I want the nozzle to rotate inside partx around the swept rod so that it increases/decreases the diameter. 

Did you get it to rotate?

Why was it necessary to make workpoints, couldn't you just use the centerpoint of the circle for both parts? Did you figure out why there was an interference between the parts? 

Thank you for your help.

Message 6 of 14

You've got to pivot against something don't you (so origin features were not usable) ? I have deleted your files so had to start from scratch. Couldn't add second point to point constraint so I've done point-point and point-axis.

101.gif

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 7 of 14

I just realised what you sad: YES we could have used the origin, so the work points and axis were not needed.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 8 of 14

That's perfect! Can you give me a step by step? Is there still an interference problem?

Message 9 of 14

I might have spoken too soon. I still had to create 1 work point for each of the parts.

I don't have all the parts so I don't know if your part x is adaptive but still,  a swept can only go inside other (full tangent) in one position. I think part x needs to have some spherical rod eye or something to allow the pivot degrees.

This just shows movement not functionality.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 10 of 14

Alright, so I tried using mate constraints but I couldn't rotate it. Now im trying to constrain the axis and points, but nothing is happening. I can use insert to insert one side of the nozzle, but the other side doesnt do anything. 

Message 11 of 14

I just realized I changed something. the diameter of the sweep feature on the nozzle should be 1.5 inches. the same as in part x. When I have this, I get the interference.

Message 12 of 14

Hope you can see the points that I've done and the oher constraint between the two parts.

140.jpg

141.jpg

I believe you will alwasy get interferences if you want it to rotate. 

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 13 of 14

I'm sorry, I just realized this won't work the way I created it. The swept cut needs to be conical because the nozzle rotates around a circular axis. 

So I just made the hole and rod straight.

However I do have a question: I'm trying to make a contact set between the elements of the circular pattern (I ended up patterning partx and the nozzle togeather). How should I go about doing this? I tried opening the elements and activating contact sets for all 12 nozzles, but nothing happened (they still interfered). When I activated all the contact sets (including the 12 partxs), but this stopped all movement.

Message 14 of 14

Brandon,

We are getting into technical now, but you either change the swept of the nozzle into a  straight cylinder (to pivot against it's axis, or at lease the sweep ends cylindrical) or use something that allows the needed degrees of freedom like this spherical rod eye in the image bellow. Proper constrain it and you won't need contact sets.

The rod eye is smaller than your diameter but it's for proving the concept.

01.gif

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report