Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sweeps and error messages

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
KFrankenberger
1063 Views, 7 Replies

sweeps and error messages

A lot of times when I am building sweeps I get an error message that states: "The specified sweep profile intersects with the work axis. Try different inputs". Sometimes a similar input of profile and path works and other times it doesn't. Can anyone explain exactly what this error message means? What am I doing wrong?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: KFrankenberger

The best way to discuss this might be to attach a file that exhibits this behavior.

In general, create the path to the inside of your profile rather than the middle or outside if you encounter this error.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 8
KFrankenberger
in reply to: JDMather

here is the print screen of what i am doing. i got the sweep to work finally, but i am not sure what i did so differently to make it work. in this pic it is not working and you can see the error message.

Message 4 of 8
JDMather

I am not familiar with editing png files in Inventor.

I would need actual ipt file.

I would use 2D sketches to create 3D sketches - much easier to edit.
Are the bend radii large enough for the bends?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 8
KFrankenberger
in reply to: JDMather

oh ok. here it is. thanks!

Message 6 of 8

Hi KFrankenberger,

From the image it appears that the profile diameter would "kink" back onto itself as it tries to turn the corner of each of your bends, and that is the source of the error. Reducing the diameter of the profile, or increasing the radius of the bends will likely solve this.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 7 of 8
JDMather

Maybe this image will help illustrate the problem.

Note the largest circle that could "turn the corner" would have a zero radius inside bend.
Anything larger than that would result in a self-intersecting "kink" in the real world.

Turn the corner.png

Message 8 of 8

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report