Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sweeping on a 3D sketch path causes computer to freeze

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
shobev
801 Views, 4 Replies

Sweeping on a 3D sketch path causes computer to freeze

So I am trying to create a unique spring (Rectangular coil rather than cylindrical). I have created a 3D sketch using two different 2D sketches and then connecting them manually. When I go to sweep the cross section of the spring along the 3D sketch it just freezes up. I have set the following application settings to try and fix the problem ut nothing seems to work?

• undo file size to 200mb
  • Display qualty = Rough
  • Tried both hardware settings (Performance and Conservative)

My computers Tech Specs:

• Software: Windows 8.1 Pro
  • Hard drive size  256GB with 8GB RAM
  • Processor: 4th generation Intel Core i7-4650U 1.70 GHz (with Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.3 GHZ) with Intel HD Graphics 5000

Attached is the IPT file in question. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
blair
in reply to: shobev

It's taking progressively longer to add each section to the sweep. I might save the base part and create copies. Then sweep the first section to the half-way point of the first end curve. Then create another part with the next full sweep to create one 360d coil. Create a new IAM file, then place the first leg IPT in the file. Then the second part and then pattern it to create the number of patterns/coils required. Then create a new IPT and Derive the IAM into the IPT.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 5
blair
in reply to: blair

There is a problem with your sweep, around segment 3-4, just before it begins the first coil/bend. After this point it sweeps without any problem. I have derived the sweep sections to generate your completed spring.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 5
WHolzwarth

Here's another way. I'm glad, that Inventor has multibodies since 2010.

Using multibodies, no derived files are needed.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
shobev

Thank you so much for helping mewith that. When I closed the loop for the sweep and put the cross section halfway through the first curve it worked like a charm.

For the next part of ths model I am trying to get it to be adaptive. I have looked through and completed some adaptive spring tutorials and have implemented them in various projects before. However they were all cylindrical springs. 

I have changed how I made the spring from last time to the following format.

1. extrude rounded slot shaped solid that spring will fit inside of up "MAGHEIGHT" which initially was equal to 7.12"+.047" (height from center to center of bottom and top coil plus the wire diameter)
  2. make 2D sketches on either side (a 1/2 wire diameter inside the solid body) to create points and lines all referenceing the 1st extruded solid body.
  3. make 2D sketch on the bottom face (a 1.2 wire diameter inside the solid body) to make the flat bottom
  4. Make a 3D sketch connecting all the points, angled lines, and then bending the corners to create the tangent arcs. referenceing the points on the 2D sketchs which were referencing the solid body from step 1.
  5. Make 2D sketch in middle of solid body of the wire cross section
  6. Sweep the cross section along the 3D sketch that references the 2D sketches and the Extruded solid from step 1.

When I sweep the cross section it works fine and dandy. However when I go to change the value of "MAGHEIGHT" the spring performs just the way I would expect it too. However it says there is an error with the sweep, although it renders the new solid body correctly (more compressed).

Am I approaching this the wrong way or am I missing something?

Thank you for taking the time to read through this and help me!

-Viktor

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report