Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sweep using 3D Sketch

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
waynehelley
3306 Views, 3 Replies

Sweep using 3D Sketch

Hello all,

I'm quite new to 3D sketching as most of the components we create are using sheet metal.  I was just curious if anybody has a more efficient way of modelling the attached part than the way I have done it.

I created various 2D sketches then projected these sketches into a 3D sketch where I then rounded the corners. The critical dimensions are the overall height, width and depth so I have used Trig functions for the other dimensions.

Wayne Helley
Inventor 2013 Certified Professional

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2023
Visual Studio 2022
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
CCarreiras
in reply to: waynehelley

HI!!

Maybe a angled plane instead the ucs, simplest i think...

but that's ok the way you done it.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
wimann

Yeah it seems alright. The only thing I might have done differently is planned the part so that I could use two of the three origin planes to create your sketches instead of having to move your UCS and create new planes, 2D sketches and 3D sketches.

I've attached an image since I'm in 2014 and cannot send you a part file.

My part uses only the origin planes for sketches. I would also note that instead of using trig, you could just sketch in your curves in your 2D sketches. I'm thinking you may be under the assumption that you need the 3D sketch to get the full path but you can, in fact, sweep across mulitple 2D sketches so long as they connect at a point and do not create an overlapping result.

Hope this helps. Let me know if something I've said doesn't make sense.

Thanks,

-Will Mann

Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
Message 4 of 4
JDMather

Looks like too much work to me?

I did without any trig or extra workplanes.

Sweep.PNG

The Sweep

Sketches 1 and 2.PNG

Sketches 1 & 2

Sketch3.PNG

Sketch3

3D intersection sketch.png

3D intersection sketch (actually the Bends could be added here rather than fillets in the 2D sketches - I didn't check, but might be more correct for the two bends at compound angle).

So now you have two possible techniques that do not require trig or extra workplanes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report