Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sweep of a 3D Sketch Fails at Bends

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Cleasc
790 Views, 14 Replies

Sweep of a 3D Sketch Fails at Bends

Inventor 2013 SP2.

I have a created a 3D sketch (fully constrained) of a handrail centerline between stanchions and am trying to sweep the handrail profile.

It doesn't come up with any errors, but it won't sweep past any bends in the 3D sketch.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
JDMather
in reply to: Cleasc

Attach the *.ipt file here.

My guess is missing Tangent constraints in the path.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 15
Cleasc

Attached as requested.

Message 4 of 15
JDMather

I won't be at my 2013 machine till tomorrow - but it looked like you might be doing too much work to create a 3D sketch.

I would simply create a 2D Right View and Top View sketches and let Inventor figure out the 3D sketch for me. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 15
Cleasc
in reply to: JDMather

The attached image gives a better idea of what I'm working on.
My thought was that it was too complicated to use 2D sketches.

Do you still suggest I scrap the 3D sketch and use multiple 2D sketches???

Message 6 of 15
JDMather

It is a very simple path.

Only requires 2 very simple 2D sketches and then Inventor will create the path for you.

Took me about 10 minutes to create (in r2014).

EESignature

Message 7 of 15
Cleasc

You learn something new everyday, thanks for the advice!!!

Message 8 of 15
JDMather

Did you figure it out?  There are 4 Bends you will have to add yourself to the path (looking from the front view) after Inventor creates the 3D sketch path.

EESignature

Message 9 of 15
CAG_DRAFT

For doing handrails I use frame generator & a mix of side & top view sketches, I only ever go to sweeping 3D sketches when I need to sweep complex corners.

Along with making use of the 2D sketch environment you get a lot of extra information in the BOMs.
Message 10 of 15
Cleasc

Yeah I got it, ended up doing it with 3 sketches (top, front, side) into 3 3D sketches.

Worked a treat!!!

Thanks again.

Message 11 of 15
rmerlob

Not the most elegant way but seriously do not know how to do it in 2 sketches very interested to find out.

Basically I worked in 3 different heights, projecting from the other sketches as needed, then for the transitions on the right I just built them on 2d sketches projecting as needed, the transitions on the left I did some surface intersection shenanigans to get them.

I did have to include all the geometry in one 3d sketch for the sweep to work though so maybe that will help.

Sorry it's in 2014 so I included pictures maybe they will help.

Regards,

RM

Message 12 of 15
Cleasc
in reply to: rmerlob

Cheers for looking at it, but after learning about the 3D Sketch Intersection Curve tool that creates a 3D sketch from 2 2D sketches, I'll never attempt a 3D sketch (for this sort of job) ever again. I wasted so much time trying to get it to work!!!

Attached is the Kneerail part showing how I did it for peoples reference.

Message 13 of 15
CAG_DRAFT

I doubt it would be a problem in this example but setting the radius of a bend in the 2d plane before it gets translated onto an angled plane is not the most accurate way of doing things.

and what is the reasoning behind doing it purely as a swept part, when it reality it will be a collection of separate pieces?
Message 14 of 15
Cleasc
in reply to: CAG_DRAFT

Thanks for the tip regarding the bends.

The reason behind doing a single sweep is that I simply don't require any information besides an approximate overall length and quantity of standard bends. Everything else is bent and welded here onsite.

Message 15 of 15
johnsonshiue

Hi! There is an issue here. The behavior does not look right. I have seen similar case before. Basically, there is a degenerated line along the path and Inventor does not like it. For the part you are working on, the degenerated line is located between the bend of 300 and bend of 90. If you recreate the lines and bends there, the problem might go away.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report