Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sweep Cut Assembly

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
afwjlk
1422 Views, 26 Replies

Sweep Cut Assembly

I need to know if there is a way to sweep cut am assembly in Inventor 2012.

Spoke to a few Solidworks people now and was told the new Solidworks version has that as an option.

Any help?

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
JDMather
in reply to: afwjlk

Yes, you can Sweep-Cut in an assembly.

Modify Assembly.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 27
afwjlk
in reply to: JDMather

Ok it tells me the sweep requires two visible sketches.

And when I put a sketch on the assembly it tells me there are no visable sketches.

Message 4 of 27
mrattray

I doubt that cut-sweep as an assembly feature is the best way to model whatever it is that your modeling. Can you post more information about what you're trying to achieve? Again, I don't think an assembly feature is going to give you the results you expect.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 27
afwjlk
in reply to: mrattray

Here. Take a look at this and see if you can come up with a solution.

I want to put a 30 degree chamfer aronud the lower part of the sample along the radius.

Message 6 of 27
afwjlk

The chamfer is 1.585" back from the edge and 0.917" tall at the edge face.
Message 7 of 27
blair

You will need to attached all the related files. The IAM file is only a data-base of files required, their position and constraints used to in the assembly.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 27
afwjlk
in reply to: blair

Sorry doing like 5 things at once her.

Message 9 of 27
afwjlk

I'm tiying to acomplish this with just a sweep cut to follow the radius.

I know I could take the hours to draw this out in CAD for dimentional purposes and model each layer as a seperate size and then assemble with the chamfer already on.

But that will take forever.

HELP.

Message 10 of 27
JDMather

@afwjlk wrote:

I know I could take the hours to draw this out in CAD ..

Inventor is CAD!  CAD=Computer Aided Design

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 11 of 27
JDMather

First thing I noticed is that your sketches are not constrained or making use of the origin.

I recommend you go through these while someone works up a solution to your problem.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/p/inventor-tutorials.html
http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/enu?adskContextId=HELP_TUTORIALS&language=ENU&release=2014&product=Inve...

I think you will want to concentrate on any information you find on multi-body solids as this will make your work very easy.

I did not see ANY sketches in your assembly.

You will want to become familiar with Component Patterns.  (or Feature Patterns if you get into Multi-body)

Message 12 of 27
blair

Create a sketch on one side of the stack to produce the (router feature) you require then exit the sketch. Then create a sketch on the top face of the stack and exit the sketch. No select the Sweep tool, select your profile shape you wish to Sweep, then select the Sketch Path from the top face sketch and you will get your Assembly Feature. Myself I would have just modeled this out of a sold single part and created a Chamfer or Fillet for the feature. I would have created a custom Material that has the correct density for the proper mass of the object unless the edge showing the lamination is that critical.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 13 of 27
WHolzwarth

Funny stuff, but not impossible.

See my IAM. Included parts as before.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 14 of 27
WHolzwarth
in reply to: WHolzwarth

Here now with 2012 data.

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 15 of 27
blair

Nope, I had to download the IPT files. A IAM has no IPT or other files in it. It's only a data-base, without downloading the other related files, all you will get is un-resolved missing links

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 16 of 27
johnsonshiue

Hi! There are several ways to create the geometry you want, if I understood the request correctly. You can use Assembly Sweep (one triangular profile and a path in a separate sketch). Or, you can use Assembly Chamfer.

Or, you can do it in the parts. There are actually only two unique parts in this assembly: Knife Rad Ply and Kinfe Rad Glue. You just need to create the features in these two parts. Then in the assembly, all occurrences will get the features after update.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 17 of 27
WHolzwarth

Sure, you had to download missing files, Blair.

😉 I shouldn't discuss this with an expert.

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 18 of 27
blair

Yes. Copy the IAM file some where on your system to a new folder. Use a default Project file that has no paths to any other directories and try to open the IAM

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 19 of 27
WHolzwarth

Well, agreed. You need 3 files.

But what's the benefit, if adding two unchanged files once more?

That's no level of discussion.

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 20 of 27
blair

We have no idea what files are required for your Assembly, if any changes have been made to the individual files.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report