Inventor General Discussion

Contributor
dnewman
Message 11 of 48 (1,149 Views)

Re: Sweep Cut a solid

12-07-2011 05:20 AM in reply to: JDMather

The old addage is true... you really do learn something new everyday!

I didnt know that you could reduce the size of a file by rolling up the EOP... excellent! Thanks for that one

any way heres my solution the same idea as sams but its way way too large due to the many surfaces id imagine.

BTW Warning its a resource muncher once you scroll down that EOP.

Snap! Snap! I've Finally Cracked!
---=/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/=---
HP z210 16Gb ATI FirePro5800
Autodesk Produst design Suite 2012
*Expert Elite*
sam_m
Message 12 of 48 (1,147 Views)

12-07-2011 05:45 AM in reply to: JDMather

JDMather wrote:

sam_m wrote:

500 x pattern along the curve's length:

I think the idea is to sweep with a Guide Surface rather than pattern which creates a large file and course surface.

ahh, I get you.  I was reading the 1st post as the way he had created it in Solidworks was with a pattern and that's what he was after here.

----------
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
but please understand that the solution may not be the answer you're wanting to hear...

If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love :smileyvery-happy:

Lithium - helping nntp users with mania, depression and headaches
*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 13 of 48 (1,138 Views)

12-07-2011 07:04 AM in reply to: sam_m

ahh, I get you.  I was reading the 1st post as the way he had created it in Solidworks was with a pattern and that's what he was after here.

SolidWorks has a Sweep function whereby you can sweep one solid feature (cylinder) on a path on a second solid feature resulting in the intersecting volume being removed (just like the manufacturing process.
Inventor is supposed to accomplish the same thing with a Guide Surface sweep, but I will have to experiment to see if it actually works with this geometry.

SolidSweep.png

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015-SP1 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 14 of 48 (1,132 Views)

12-07-2011 07:06 AM in reply to: dnewman

dnewman wrote:

I didnt know that you could reduce the size of a file by rolling up the EOP... excellent! Thanks for that one

SolidWorks (later versions) works the same way in reducing file size by saving with the feature tree in a rolled up state.

There is supposed to be a way to get the geometry in Inventor - but I will have to experiment a bit.  Check back later - or tomorrow.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015-SP1 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Contributor
dnewman
Message 15 of 48 (1,136 Views)

12-07-2011 07:09 AM in reply to: JDMather

Thanks

Sorry its taken a a while to explain but its not so easy to explain what im trying to accomplish.

Snap! Snap! I've Finally Cracked!
---=/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/=---
HP z210 16Gb ATI FirePro5800
Autodesk Produst design Suite 2012
Mentor
whunter
Message 16 of 48 (1,086 Views)

12-08-2011 10:31 AM in reply to: dnewman

Gents, take a look at the attached, I don't think it is 100% correct, but the method might have some merit. I was playing with this the whole afternoon while I was supposed to be doing real work...

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2012 - Scroll - WH Method.png

The IPT is attached (rolled up).

Contributor
kakaboo
Message 17 of 48 (1,063 Views)

12-08-2011 07:58 PM in reply to: whunter

Nice, but no - that's not what customer ordered. To put it simply, Inventor do not provide options for sweeping solids. Only flat geometry figures can be sweept along path, with option of additional guidance by surface.

Mentor
whunter
Message 18 of 48 (1,055 Views)

12-08-2011 09:39 PM in reply to: kakaboo

Yes, I know that Inventor can't sweep solids, see my first post of this thread.

And I did say that the model I did is not 100% correct. Still, you will be able to accomplish the same as a solid sweep by sweeping a 2D section, since the cross-sectional geometry of the swept volume remains constant along the path. The trick is to figure out what that 2D section looks like. Whether the 2D section has a closed-form solution, I can't elaborate on that, my Calculus is too rusted.

The original SW part has a volume of 241.8, mine has a volume of 242.0 (error of 0.083%). I don't think that's too bad?

Anyway, I'm hoping someone sees something in the way I did it and comes up with a better solution or method.

*Pro
sbixler
Message 19 of 48 (1,014 Views)

12-12-2011 04:32 AM in reply to: whunter

Looks very good to me.  I, too, wish that Inventor could sweep solids, but since it can't, that doesn't mean that it's simply impossible to achieve the desired result.  The profile resulting from a swept solid has a consistent cross section, which means that if we can do the math (or get Inventor to do it for us), we can sweep a 2D profile and achieve the same results. 

Contributor
kakaboo
Message 20 of 48 (990 Views)

12-12-2011 12:58 PM in reply to: dnewman

I'm afraid sweeping of 2D profile - no matter how shaped and positioned in relation to 3D path curvature - will not produce results identical to sweeping 3D solid. The idea is to emulate cutting action of milling end, commonly employed in modern 5-axis milling machines. Please note that the material is removed by rotating profile of the tool, therefore 3D solid (cylinder, cone, sphere, whatever), not by forcing flat surface thru solid, like - say - tap dies do. 

cherrs.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.