Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sweep Cut a solid

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
streinholt13
408 Views, 6 Replies

Sweep Cut a solid

I use Inventor 2012 at my Job and I am trying to a sweep cut on a cylindrical part following a 5deg path on the cylinder.  The cut I am making is rectangular.  I need to use the parallel orientation so the cut will go all the way through the part.  It will work if i change the type from "PATH" to "PATH AND GUIDE SURFACE."  However when I pick the "PATH AND GUIDE SURFACE" type is doesn't allow me to use the sweep in a pattern (I need it to work in a mirror and circular pattern).  Now i have doen this with a circular sketch and it worked perfectly using the parallel option with the "PATH" type.  Doese anybody know why this is?

see attachment

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mpatchus
in reply to: streinholt13

Why not simply extend the sweep path beyond the edges of the solid?

streinholt13.JPG

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 3 of 7
streinholt13
in reply to: mpatchus

Well I thought about that but I dont know how I would do that with how I created the sketch.  I created the path in a 3D sketch using the intersection curve command.  So it becomes a "projected geometry" kind of line.  I don't know how I would be able to extend that past the part?

Message 4 of 7
mpatchus

Even with using a 3d sketch of projected geometry and Path & Guide Surface, you should be able to pattern the cut as shown.

Sweep Cut.JPG

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 5 of 7
streinholt13

Here is the feature failure I don't know why it wont let me pattern the feature.  I also attached the file as well.

Message 6 of 7
mpatchus

Okay, I see what you are trying to achieve.

Over-complicated.

Look at the attached part.

Rider Test -MJP.JPG

Inventor 2025 Beta

Message 7 of 7
streinholt13

Thanks, I cant beleieve i didn't think think of just drawing it on the plane.  I appreciate the assistance.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report