Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surfacing Difficulties

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Cadmanto
914 Views, 8 Replies

Surfacing Difficulties

I am new to surfacing in Inventor.  I have gotten the attached part to this point.

What I am trying to do (to no avail) is close the gab as shown below.

surface.JPG

I tried doing a patch, but because the area is apparently not a completely enclosed loop it is not working.  I tried revolving a surface that intersects the existing, but I cannot get that to trim.

I would greatly appreciate any advise on how to resolve this.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
stevec781
in reply to: Cadmanto

You should normally be able to just loft a new surface between the edges (create 3d sketches and loft between them as selecting surface edges is buggy) but your composite geometry has an overlap.  Zoom right in to see.

Capture.JPG

The work around is to trim the spigot back a bit to get rid of the overlap, and then create the loft.  I usually offset the surfaces with 0 offset just to keep it more stable.

Message 3 of 9
Cadmanto
in reply to: stevec781

Thanks Steve.

Coming from Solidworks, I am struggling a bit with the Inventor surfacing tools.

I do see there is an overlap like you pointed out, but I am still struggling to get these

surfaces trimmed.  I have sucessfully thickened the surfaces and still have the void.

I am now going to try and fill the gap within the solid geometry and forget the surfacing

for this portion.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 4 of 9
Cadmanto
in reply to: stevec781

Steve,

After thickening the part I was able to create a surface within the void.

thicken.JPG

But now it won't thicken because it says it is unable to blend everything together.  I will never understand why when

the preview shows it perfectly, it will not produce the geometry.  Smiley Mad

What I ended up doing (which is not ideal, but works) is creating a boundary surface on the inside and outside and changing the transparency to off then making it the same color as the geometry and that is blending in nicely.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 5 of 9
Doug_DuPont

First I'm no surface guru.

What I did was copy your composite into Comstruction and deleted all of your revole surfaces. Ithen went into Edit Construction.

Next I deleted the fillets surfaces from the large tube to the smaller tubes. I now did boundary patch from the small tubes to the edges on the large tube. I change the condichion to tangent.

After all Patches I then Stitch everything together and copied it back.

I could then thicken your part

Douglas DuPont
Inventor 2016 Pro, Vault 2016 Pro
Quadro M4000
Windows 10 64 Bit
Message 6 of 9
Cadmanto
in reply to: Doug_DuPont

Doug,

That is a lot of work!!!

Nice job though.  I am really surprised that it is this much of an effort to get something that looks to be relatively easy.

Even with what you did, while it still worked I can't imagine that it is supposed to be this complicated.

I will investigate your model further, but it looks like all ties to the original surfaces that it came from were lost.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 7 of 9
JDMather

Patch worked here, but I can't figure out why you are doing so much work to create simple geometry?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
Cadmanto
in reply to: JDMather

JD,

It looks simple in and of the part itself, but understand that this part I am trying to create is a lining

for the pipe assembly with a specific thickness.  It needs to follow the contour of the inside of the pipe

assembly with a controlled overlap out of the flange ends.

pipe.JPG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 9 of 9
JDMather

I still think you are going about it the wrong way (for Inventor or for SolidWorks) - doing too much work.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report