Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

Culdagor
Message 11 of 16 (110 Views)

Re: Surfaces to Solid

01-28-2014 09:15 AM in reply to: JDMather
First imported and copied the composite surface to a new group of surfaces, I then drew "filling" surfaces to the open spaces on the mouth, eyes and neck. Afterwards I've tried stitching everything together but it produced "no meaningful result". I'm guessing the main problem is the lack of "air tightness" but I can't figure how to solve that.
Distinguished Mentor
ccarreiras
Message 12 of 16 (105 Views)

01-28-2014 09:31 AM in reply to: Culdagor

Olá.

The surfaces are open, so it will never be a solid.

You have to trim the surfaces if you want to have some kind of thikness in every surface, or close all the surfaces to have a big solid. Now, depends of what you want... but for sure... it will give some time to become a solid.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

Regards.
CarlosC

Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk Factory Design Suite Ultimate 2015
Windows 7 64Bit
*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 13 of 16 (105 Views)

01-28-2014 09:31 AM in reply to: Culdagor

Culdagor wrote:
....the lack of "air tightness" but I can't figure how to solve that.

This one would probably take me several days to complete as there are a lot of open seams and overlapping seams.  Also, there are some single side surfaces (webbing) that would be isolated separately and Thickened.
I am more familiar with the older Construction Environment rather than the Repair Environment, but in one of those environments is where I would tackle this surface-by-surface until I had a "water-tight" envelope.  Not really a job for a beginner.

If this is a school assignment - I think I would pick another project.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Culdagor
Message 14 of 16 (97 Views)

01-28-2014 09:52 AM in reply to: JDMather
Thanks, this was a personal project. I've built a "botafogo" with a Dragon head as well, but this Dragon head is far better looking so I thought I could make it a solid and then use it as a cooler looking "botafogo". I wasn't going anywhere with easy and off the shelf solutions so I figured I would ask. I'll do it slowly when time permits. And yes I'd rather have a single solid. Thanks for your help.
Distinguished Mentor
ccarreiras
Message 15 of 16 (72 Views)

01-29-2014 02:24 AM in reply to: Culdagor
Botafogo...lololol.

Bem, trabalhar com superficies é uma questão "mais à frente", se precisares de ajuda, diz qqr coisa.
Regards.
CarlosC

Autodesk Factory Design Suite Ultimate 2015
Windows 7 64Bit
Culdagor
Message 16 of 16 (50 Views)

01-30-2014 02:15 AM in reply to: ccarreiras
Obrigado, eu uso o Inventor como ferramenta para criar uma série de coisas mais a nivél pessoal. Nunca tive formação formal de Inventor e extrapolei muito do que sabia dos outros CAD, várias vezes tentei encontrar boa formação, mas nunca nenhuma me pareceu que me poderia dar mais do que o que vou aprendendo on-line e por mim. Este é um caso onde claramente necessitaria de formação.
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.