Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

surface visability in an idw

46 REPLIES 46
SOLVED
Message 1 of 47
slphantom
3942 Views, 46 Replies

surface visability in an idw

did something change in 2013 as far as the way surfaces are displayed in an idw? the surfaces always always had to be "included" in a idw view. now they come in as regular geometry.

Scott
win 11 64 bit
Nvida GeForce RTX 4000
Inventor Pro 2023
Space Explorer
46 REPLIES 46
Message 21 of 47

The non visible works OK on the part (ipt) & on the drawing (dwg) but not on the assembly, I can not see an option for surface visibility. If we have multiples of parts placed in an assembly, each part even though they are the same still needs the surfaces turning of for each individual part, If you don't do this the assembly drawing file looks a complete mess.

Is there a 'one click' way to turn ALL surfaces OFF in the .iam file?

Thanks, Chris

Message 22 of 47

Unfortunately, there is no single click functionality that I am aware of. Since these surfaces could be inside parts, it would be hard to track them down even using some search functionality.

You might want to try a VBA script would probably be the fastest to identify parts with surfaces and automatically turn their visibility off.

Our apologies for the inconvenience.

-Shiva Sundaram

Inventor Development

Message 23 of 47

Too true about difficulty tracking them down.

Our iam files are relativley small with upto 30-40 different parts in them but 60-70% have surfaces copied through to them, when it's a multi cavity tool there is upto 96 stacks of inserts which may consist of 4-5 inserts, each one needing the surface visibility turning off.

In the ipt file I have found 'construction surface' under the view ribbon, under object visibility drop down, hopefully this will work

Message 24 of 47
chrisreynolds
in reply to: slphantom

Any news on this yet please?

We are also having a real problem with projected edges in sketches in an ipt.

We copy the surface from an assembly into a ipt part model as a construction surface, sometimes we use sculpt, sometimes we use the projected edges depending on the part we require. Since the 2014 update all we get when using project cut edges is every edge from the solid & EVERY surface edge even though they are not visible (see attached).

If we use project face we do not get the edges we require from the construction surface, it is taking a lot more time to get what we used to get & often various different ways to get what in all honesty is a simple operation.

Thanks, Chris

Message 25 of 47

Hi Chris,

I think the project edges is a different issue than surface visibilities in drawings discussed above.

For the project edges issue, can you send us a dataset and/or give us some steps to reproduce. I was not able to reproduce the problem with a simple workflow. Also, which project edges command did you use - project cut edges perhaps? In the meanwhile,we will try to reproduce this problem in house.

Thanks

-shiva

Email: sundarsATautodeskDOTcom

Message 26 of 47

Chris,

Are you trying to get project cut edges from the surface residing in Construction Environment? If yes, the workflow is not supported. The surfaces in CE are in a persistent but nonassociative space. Only the commands in CE can interact with the surfaces. For your purpose, you will need to "promote" (Copy Object) the surfaces from CE to the regular part modeling enviornment. Then Project Cut Edges can work on the surfaces.

If this is not what you are seeing, please attach an example ipt exhibiting the behavior here or send it to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com).

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 27 of 47
chrisreynolds
in reply to: slphantom

Thanks for the replys Shiva & Johnson, I'll try to explain my work flow a little better.

Shiva, is that your email as written in your footer?

Johnson, email sent.

Thanks again, Chris

Message 28 of 47

Hi Chris,

Thats my email at the bottom. If you have already sent the info to Johnson, we can share it. No worries.

thanks
-shiva
Message 29 of 47
dccshazam
in reply to: Shiva_Sundaram

Just a thought.

Has there been any thought on making this more automated? Say, have a AllSurfacesOff view rep built into parts that automatically turn surfaces off for that view rep. I like having part view reps, but it is unfortunate that this is a side effect that we have to deal with. Not to mention having to deal with this in assemblies where almost all the parts have surface data.

Thanks,
Dustin
Message 30 of 47
sundars
in reply to: dccshazam

Hi Dustin,

Thanks. Thats a nice idea. Currently there is only the work-around of manually creating a view-rep and turning off the surface visibility folder. I agree that it would be nice to have an "All surfaces On/Off" view rep.

I would suggest that you add this to the Inventor Idea Station so that others can vote on it.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/idb-p/v1232

Thanks

-Shiva Sundaram

Inventor Engineering

Autodesk, Inc.

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 31 of 47
Rich.O.3d
in reply to: sundars

I cant turn the surfaces on part18 off in the IDW 

Urgent Please help

I have a client waiting on the drawings

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]
Message 32 of 47
sundars
in reply to: Rich.O.3d

Hi Rich,

For a quick fix, you can simply do the following:

1. Edit the drawing view(s)

2. Uncheck Associativity checkbox in the view dialog (this will un-associate the drawing view to the design view of the part)

3. Right click on each part node in the browser under each view and UNCHECK - Include All Surfaces

4. Update All Views

This should remove your surfaces.

I am not sure which version of Inventor you have - looks like Inventor 2014. 

I have attached a word document outlining the steps.

Thanks

-Shiva Sundaram

Inventor Engineering

Autodesk, Inc.

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 33 of 47
thedelee
in reply to: Shiva_Sundaram

2015 still having this issue its absolutely killing skeltal modeling, I hope I don t get fired everytime I add a part i have to go thru the whole drawing package turn it to associative turn it off then turn off surfaces in each view or it is in every view. Awful 

Message 34 of 47
sundars
in reply to: thedelee

Hi, If you check associative On or Off the very first time for any view, it will stick throughout. If you add a part to your assembly and then update your drawing, the check will be honored. Typically, the visibility of the surfaces in the model should be honored in the drawing if associativity is checked ON. Do you have regular surfaces or composite surfaces (ones created from derived / import / stitched together from multiple surfaces) ? I would be happy to take a look at your dataset if you want to email it to me at sundarsATautodeskDOTcom Thanks -shiva
Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 35 of 47
thedelee
in reply to: sundars

it's too late for that I think the model is too large to start over and so is the drawing

Message 36 of 47
sundars

Ok. Our apologies for the inconvenience caused. Still, if you can reproduce this issue from scratch with a new drawing with perhaps a smaller model, please let me know. Thanks -shiva
Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 37 of 47
t_pcoll
in reply to: Rich.O.3d

Hi Rich,

this seems like a bug in Inventor. Surface visibilities should be controlled by Design View in Part- seems this is what you're trying to do with Surf Off design view - correct. The problem is that surfaces are switched off in Master Design View in fact and I believe Surf Off Should 'inherit' this...

However, in Drawing view we don't inherit visibility of from Master so you see surfaces On.

Workaround on Part side is:

1) Switch to Master Design view and make surface ON

2) Switch to Surf Off Design view and make the surface Off

Now Drawings should update accordingly.

I wonder how this wasn't found earlier. I believe it's problem in views of Parts only, Assemblies should be OK.

Thanks for reporting this

Ladislav

Autodesk

Message 38 of 47
thedelee
in reply to: t_pcoll

I have the issue in assemblies when adding them to a drawing. I am not sure what Master design view means, is that a view rep or something else? Can you show me a snip of where that is and how to use it to turn them off in all drawings all of the time.

Message 39 of 47
t_pcoll

Yes, by Design view I mean View Representation...

As I mentioned, I believe assemblies should work well - so if surface is hidden in IAM, you should see it hidden too, if creating a drawing view from the same View representation.

Thanks
Ladislav
Message 40 of 47
thedelee
in reply to: t_pcoll

Well I have a derived surface in every part i use the View box to uncheck all surface work features etc, and the view reps still show up withe al of the surfaces.. I am missing something than, or it doesn't work correctly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report