Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

surface stitch part and mass properties

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
Lisztman
670 Views, 21 Replies

surface stitch part and mass properties

i have a part that was created in rhino, and exported as a 143 iges, and i have it stitched together in dwg and ipt formats. however, my problem is that i need to dimension the complex part. i have been trying to get drawing views for the part, but when i select the ipt file for a base view, it says "cannot create drawing views for empty model documents."
as far as i am aware, the part is completely stitched together as a solid (the part has grey, opaque faces. no transparencies), but the mass and volume properties say that it has no mass or volume.

i hope someone can help me.
thanks
21 REPLIES 21
Message 21 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: Lisztman

>so do you suggest i try another format to export out of rhino?
stp
sat
I saved the file as an IGES in Inventor and then opened the IGES in MDT. The surface normals for the two fillets were backwards. Of course it had been washed through Inventor so that might be misleading. It might have been interesting to analyze the original Rhino and then the Rhino IGES file in MDT. It is interesting that the more complex fillets were OK but these two around an elongated slots were not. Seems like I see that a lot and not just from Rhino? It might have been best to leave these simple fillets out when modeling in Rhino.
Anyway a step file is probably your best bet.
Message 22 of 22
Lisztman
in reply to: Lisztman

okay, i got it all worked out. i took the SAT file from orchdes, opened it in inventor. i then saved it as another SAT file with "configuration controlled design" and imported it into MDT. it opened up as a solid, and it seems to work perfectly now.
thanks very much everyone. ill have to look into Transmagic.

Trevor

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report