Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

surface stitch part and mass properties

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
Lisztman
668 Views, 21 Replies

surface stitch part and mass properties

i have a part that was created in rhino, and exported as a 143 iges, and i have it stitched together in dwg and ipt formats. however, my problem is that i need to dimension the complex part. i have been trying to get drawing views for the part, but when i select the ipt file for a base view, it says "cannot create drawing views for empty model documents."
as far as i am aware, the part is completely stitched together as a solid (the part has grey, opaque faces. no transparencies), but the mass and volume properties say that it has no mass or volume.

i hope someone can help me.
thanks
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: Lisztman

I suspect something has gone wrong in the stitch and there are gaps which means its still a surface. You could try thickening it with the Quilt option and see if it's recognizes it as a surface? Posting the file will help us to take a look. Thanks. Shekar "Lisztman" wrote in message news:18446079.1100273644981.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > i have a part that was created in rhino, and exported as a 143 iges, and i have it stitched together in dwg and ipt formats. however, my problem is that i need to dimension the complex part. i have been trying to get drawing views for the part, but when i select the ipt file for a base view, it says "cannot create drawing views for empty model documents." > as far as i am aware, the part is completely stitched together as a solid (the part has grey, opaque faces. no transparencies), but the mass and volume properties say that it has no mass or volume. > > i hope someone can help me. > thanks
Message 3 of 22
Anonymous

I have had this happen in the past also.
My solution has been to create the views in MDT from the data and dim.

Don't know if this is an option for you or not.
Message 4 of 22
Lisztman

i tried the thicken option. it seemed to have been recognized as a quilt(i think), but it said that there was a "modeling failure while offestting surface. try using edit thicken to change the offset." im not quite sure what i this means for me.

however, i cannot post the file because, even zipped, it is 1.26 megabytes.

also, i can right click on the part labeled "base1" and i have the option of "edit solid." so i further suspect that it is a solid.

also, i cant seem to get it in the form of an iges. the logs say that the "Model specified to be formatted does not contain any entities."

thanks again.
Message 5 of 22
Anonymous

> ..... the part is completely stitched together as a solid > (the part has grey, opaque faces. no transparencies), > but the mass and volume properties say that it has no > mass or volume. (As Shekar said) it would be best if you could post the part. I've seen this a few times. Sometimes a Rebuild All would cure it. Sometimes it was necessary to pick a simple to re-create face, delete it (Delete Face), create a new surface and stitch it in. I've also seen parts stitch up with inverted normals (surface normals on the inside of the part) and calculating the infinite volume is tough on IV . It's visually detectable. The part will look odd because you are actually looking thru near side faces (back side not rendered) at a face on the opposite side of the part. Delete Face, stitch in a new one, again. A quick and easy way that sometimes works; simply export as .stp or .sat and read the export back in. (I have resorted to importing IGES from Rhino (prefer type 144) and stitching when a STEP wouldn't work well, but generally if you will model with a 1e-4 inch or equivealent tolerance in Rhino, join everything and export STEP it will give about as good a results as can be expected. Good luck with it.)
Message 6 of 22
Anonymous

> however, i cannot post the file because, even zipped, it is 1.26 megabytes. Delete the Construction folder, pull the End of Part marker (Stop sign) up above the base feature and save. Zip and it might make the 1 MB posting limit.
Message 7 of 22
Anonymous

>i cannot post the file because, even zipped, it is 1.26 megabytes.

Can you post some pictures.
Is the original iges file over 1 meg zipped?
Message 8 of 22
Lisztman

well, i would actually PREFER to use MDT. however, i have a problem there too (which is on the MDT forum, labeled "dimensioning a stitched") in a nutshell, my problem is that i cant get the dimensioning functions to catch onto the points that i want it to.
and finally, one more problem that i am having with MDT is when i make side views of the part. basically, it cannot make a proper profile because one of the surfaces is really screwy. dont know what to do. i will attach a picture of what i am talking about.

Trevor
Message 9 of 22
Lisztman

WOW! thats an awesome trick. thanks.

here is the ipt file
Message 10 of 22
Anonymous

When you delete a face the part converts to a surface as indicated by the icon above the origin in the browser. Drag the EOP marker just above the delete face and you will see it change to a solid block.
Message 11 of 22
Anonymous

I removed the delete face and was able to create idw.
Message 12 of 22
Anonymous

The fact that the fillet did not convert from the IGES indicates a problem with the geometry. I have tried a couple of methods to rebuild the fillet (in v8 not v9) and so far no success.
When you delete face if you zoom in close you will see that you can actually see inside the part. It is no longer watertight.
Message 13 of 22
Lisztman

yeah, i got that figured out. thanks.

however, now i ma having trouble with making some of the edges appear for dimensioning.

oh the joys of CAD.
Message 14 of 22
Anonymous

Try this file

Deleted deleted face.
Exported as step.
Repaired with Transmagic
Exported as sat
Looks happy!
Message 15 of 22
Anonymous

You may need to show tangent edges.
Message 16 of 22
Lisztman

so do you suggest i try another format to export out of rhino? if so, what sort of combinations etc should i try? because as many of you might know, there are ALOT of possibilities for exporting out of rhino and importing into MDT and IV.

also i also have IV version 8 as well, so dont worry about it.
thanks
Message 17 of 22
Lisztman

hmm, it seems that you have inventor 9. 😕 stinker. can you save it as a IV8 ipt?

thanks
Message 18 of 22
Anonymous

I can post the sat file if you wish. I see now you have 8
Message 19 of 22
Lisztman

yes please 😛
Message 20 of 22
Anonymous

Here ya go. Sat file

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report