Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface Models - Convert to Solids

34 REPLIES 34
SOLVED
Message 1 of 35
GSE_Dan_A
81935 Views, 34 Replies

Surface Models - Convert to Solids

I know this topic has been beaten to death.  I frequent these boards a lot and constantly see these threads pop up.  I read them all and try to follow any guidance, links, tutorials, etc... But I still can not grasp how to convert them.  My Inventor knowledge is minimal (been using it for approx 5 months and have attended a Basic Modelling course by iMaginit) A customer sent us 9 different parts (very simple and basic).  All of them are surfaces.  For the first few I just modeled them and carried on.  But it has me thinking that this would be a perfect time to learn how to turn them into solids without having to model them from scratch.  Again these parts are very simple and if worse comes to worse, I will just model the remaining parts. Can anyone provide simple instructions (looking at you JD! Smiley Very Happy) or guidelines or a walkthrough that I can use in order to attempt at turning these surfaces into a solid.

Attached is one of the models received for your viewing and investigating pleasure.

I am using IV 2012 Pro and have SP1 installed.

Regards,

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
34 REPLIES 34
Message 2 of 35
JDMather
in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

What format did the customer send that to you in?

Are you the one that created an assembly of all those surfaces or was it originally one neutral format file?

If for some reason you are getting Inventor files like that (rather than neutral format)

1. Start new part file

2. Exit sketch

3. Manage>Derive Component as Composite Surface

4. Copy to Construction (22010-2012)

5. Double click on Construction

6. Stitch the surface to solid

7.Copy object to the modeling environment.

But I suspect there is an easier way if your geometry came in a single file.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 35
GSE_Dan_A

I am not sure what the original part was modeled in.  When I received these files, they were in STP format and that is exactly how I receive them (numerous Surafaces in an Assembly environment).  I will investigate the steps you listed and report back.  I will also look into the Options when opening up the STP file before saving as an Inventor file (.iam).

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 4 of 35
GSE_Dan_A
in reply to: JDMather

STEP File Options.jpg

These are the options available when first opening the STEP file......

I changed the following options...

Create Surfaces As....Single Composite Feature

Import Assembly as Single Part --> Checked

The resulting part is as follows....

Part after Options.jpg

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 5 of 35
JDMather

If you read my document on neutral format files - need the actual STEP file to find the best set of options.

Zip and attach the step.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 6 of 35
GSE_Dan_A

Step file attached...

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 7 of 35
JDMather

That is what I thought - this is a lot easier that the Inventor assembly you posted first.

Here are the options I used

There is an extra surface besides the solid that I think you can delete (I didn't look close).  I think it represented thread in the chamfered hole.

I turned off the Translation Report only because it causes a problem on some systems (the file won't open at all - so it is not a problem on your machine).

Options.png

EESignature

Message 8 of 35
udayag

The step file you attached doesn't seem to be right. It just contains a single cylindrical surface.

You may want to check out Fusion 2013 (which is freely available, even if you are on an older Inventor version) as a simpler alternative to handle less complicated imported models.

Please see here for instructions:

http://www.mcadforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=12873

Udaya Gunasena
Fusion Development
Autodesk
Message 9 of 35
GSE_Dan_A

*using best Mr Burns voice* Excellent!
Thank you JD! I appreciate the help very much so.

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 10 of 35
JDMather
in reply to: udayag

@udayag wrote:

The step file you attached doesn't seem to be right. It just contains a single cylindrical surface.

Are you saying STEP import is broken in Inventor 2013 (not Fusion).

(Opened fine for me in 2012.)

EESignature

Message 11 of 35
rajeshindi
in reply to: udayag

Spoiler

Hi JDM,

I was able to open the step file without any problem.  You are a champ.  I learned something today from you.  Good on you.  I wanted to understand your other option of using copy to construction and back to modelling.  How to do that?  Where is that icon to copy to construction.  I am using INV 2013.  I get lot of surface models and always struggle to convert them to solid.  I am looking for a training material or one of your goodies to know more about using 3d sketches and working with surfaces.

Thanks in advance.

Message 12 of 35
JDMather
in reply to: rajeshindi

@rajeshindi wrote:

Hi JDM,

Where is that icon to copy to construction.  I am using INV 2013. 

I haven't installed 2013 yet, but I think the Construction Enviroment no longer exists and is now called the Repair Environment.  I think in your Application Options there is a setting to choose Inventor or Inventor Fusion as your Repair Environment.

You get into the Repair Environment by right clicking on the imported surface or solid body.

EESignature

Message 13 of 35
udayag

No, this is a Fusion 2013 defect.

Udaya Gunasena
Fusion Development
Autodesk
Message 14 of 35
candicebowles

Please can someone help me convert this kayak into a solid.

I have tried stitching it, 

I am desperate, it it for a project due this week and it wont convert.

many thanks

Candice

Message 15 of 35
WHolzwarth
in reply to: candicebowles

Here we go with a new STEP, that imports well into 2013.

I've left some tiny faces, from which I don't know, if you need them. They can be deleted, without hurting the main body.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 16 of 35
WHolzwarth
in reply to: WHolzwarth

Additional comment:

If Construction environment is enabled (IMO better choice than Repair environment), then additional surfaces come in there.

They can be copied from there to the modeling environment. If these surfaces are needed in the main body, adding them using Sculpt will work in most cases.

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 17 of 35
zriback

I am having a similar issue with a design involving a shell designed in freeform primarily that I am trying to turn into a solid. I have tried everything I can think of after deeply researching the issue and cannot find a way to do so. 

Message 18 of 35
WHolzwarth
in reply to: zriback

You've been still with a solid, but with open ends. Here's a closed one (2017 IPT)

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 19 of 35
zriback

Thank you much! Is there a quick way to add the faces to close off the piece as you did? Also, how do I check to make sure it is solid and no longer hollow? If it is unchanged density wise how do I change it?

Thanks

Message 20 of 35
WHolzwarth
in reply to: zriback

zriback schrieb:

.. Is there a quick way to add the faces to close off the piece as you did?

Delete your existing shell and add a new one, without selecting any faces

Also, how do I check to make sure it is solid and no longer hollow? If it is unchanged density wise how do I change it?

If you want a solid, don't use Shell as follow-up. You can check interior by showing hidden edges, or by switching to a half section view at the XY plane.

Thanks

You're welcome

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report