Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface Model Not Visible In Assembly

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
ChristianAlanJamesBerg
5294 Views, 13 Replies

Surface Model Not Visible In Assembly

So I received a model from a vendor that is a surface model as a stp file. After switching over the file type I try to add the part to an assembly and it will show the part when I am moving my cursor to place it but when I click the part does not show up. I can see it in the model tree as being there and visibility is turned on; however, the part is invisible. I tried to place the same part in a new assembly and it shows up in that one. I don't know if I should be looking for an error or conflict in my assembly or what. Anything would help thanks! Inventor 2014 Build 246.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Can you zip and attach the original STEP file here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 14

See attached.

Message 4 of 14

@ChristianAlanJamesBerg wrote:

I tried to place the same part in a new assembly and it shows up in that one. I don't know if I should be looking for an error or conflict in my assembly or what. Anything would help thanks! Inventor 2014 Build 246.

If it shows fine in one and not another then there is some issue in your assembly that doesn't show it..

Any other imported parts in that assembly?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 14
lesmfunk
in reply to: mcgyvr

Was this ever resolved? I am having a similar issue. (Just wondering as I wait for Inventor to stitch the surfaces)

Message 6 of 14
karthur1
in reply to: lesmfunk

I just opened the file that was attached.  It placed in my assembly just fine and shows up with not problem in both idw and iam.

What version are you using.  Can you attach your part?

I am using 2015 SP2.

Kirk

Message 7 of 14
JDMather

@lesmfunk wrote:

Was this ever resolved? I am having a similar issue. (Just wondering as I wait for Inventor to stitch the surfaces)

Resolved?  What is the issue?  If you are waiting for Inventor to stitch surfaces - then something isn't set up correctly.

The problem could be with your Import Options, but it is far more likely with the quality of the neutral format output, the source.

The trick is learning how to deal with imported geometry.

I generally segregate into Groups in the Construction Environment before attempting any Stitching.

Can you attach your file here?
Each file is different - so this is a issue unique to each file,  not to the CAD software.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 8 of 14
karthur1
in reply to: JDMather

This is the options that I used on the posted file and it came in just fine.

2015-05-21_1240.png

Message 9 of 14
lesmfunk
in reply to: karthur1

Sorry, I didn't mean to highjack this post. I am using IV2014, same as the OP. I used similar settings using Single Composite Feature as well.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-general-discussion/how-to-make-ipt-from-stp-visible-in-iam/m-...

I am guessing the OP had Visibility of Construction Surfaces turned off in the one assembly.

Thanks for the help, and again I apologize for the dual threads.

Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

Find "Copy to Construction", make it not translucent. then in assembly be sure that under "View", "Object Visibility", that you have "Construction Surfaces" selected. 

done.

Message 11 of 14
Francois_Genik
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous Thank you very much 🙂

Message 12 of 14
drajkumr94
in reply to: Anonymous

After going through other methods suggested on this thread without an avail, I even tried converting the surface model to a solid model. Surprisingly, just turning on the object visibility>construction surfaces fixed the visibility issue for me. Please try this first.

Message 13 of 14
PhetaDesignLink

The problem with reading these forum is that most of the answers are oh idk maybe its this incredibly complicated **** that i'll tell you about so i can flex my knowledge and they never EVER solve the issue EXCEPT in your case. As you responded with a simple um yeah this is it ..... YES it worked and it was awesome.... thank you for not being a ADD nut case.

Message 14 of 14

Hi Phillip, I assume you mean you turned off transparency on the surface?
You can set this by default in the applications menu if that helps:

James_Willo_0-1646115378638.png

James W
Inventor UX Designer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report