Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface milled in 2d drawing

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Raminasrl
455 Views, 4 Replies

Surface milled in 2d drawing

Dear Sirs,

i wonder if it's possible to import worked surface from 3d model to 2d drawing (idw).

I thought to put a texture  (milled.bmp) on one surface and so when a put this 3d model in drawing to obtain automatically the simbol of finishing connect with this surface. Why I asked so? Because the fellow who create a 3d model isn't the fellow who create the drawing and mistake is served.Smiley Sad Thanks for help.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Mark_Wigan
in reply to: Raminasrl

hi, if i understand correctly then,

i would suggest not to try the bitmap or texture idea, but if anything you could just get the guy doing your 3d model to insert a iFeature that reflects your required process, onto the actual surface and emboss or cut the surface that way your detailers can see what he wants.

the detailers would see this geometry (noted) then just delete the symbol and put a real surface finish detail onto thier autocad 2d drawings.

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 3 of 5
Raminasrl
in reply to: Mark_Wigan

Thanks for your answer,

but I think my way is more easy as you could see in the attachment, but I would like to obtain in 2d drawing (inventor idw) directly the finishing simbol connect with the surface I have 'texturizided'. Many times the detailer forget to put the finishing symbol (if I non put the texture on the surface) and aftermath the tolerances. Thanks for any help

Message 4 of 5
Mark_Wigan

i dont think you will get your texture to export cos it is a colour or image that merely gives the illusion of an imprint. But, the iFeature i refer to will allow you to cut or emboss the surface so that it stays with the geometry.

if you want to use your way you may try to export a dwf along with your dwg file so tht your detailers can open the dwf to see what the designer was showing. (check dwf export actually shows the texture (colour) as it is not identical to inventor colours.

also even better perhaps - you could see if the free inventor viewer software would be suitable for your detailers to view the inventor 3d model directly?

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 5 of 5
dan_inv09

I believe even thread notes or weld symbols have to be placed or retrieved. They don't automatically appear when the view is placed, the draftsman could still miss them.

Do you use the texture now or is that something you are considering? It looks like a very good idea, but you just have to come up with a way to make sure the draftsman checks the model or a shaded view. (Maybe part of the drafting procedure would include placing a shaded view. It could be off the printed page or suppressed when the drawing is done.)

It would be nice to be able to assign surface finishes in the model and retrieve them in the drawing sort of like a thread or weld. You should submit this to the wishlist. (Is the official wishlist on the AUGI website?)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report