Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface challenge

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
SveinE
796 Views, 7 Replies

Surface challenge

Hi

Can anyone help me with this one?(see attachement)

From the pictures you can see that some edges are not "smooth", i need "smooth" transitions all the way 😕

br

Svein

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
sam_m
in reply to: SveinE

please indicate which inventor version you are using, so users with a lower version don't waste their time downloading your file, or they spend time trying to create an example for you to say you can't open it...

I'm still using 2012 so can't open your file (see above) but i think you probably want to create the outside shape and then shell the balloon once you're happy with a smooth exterior.  Loft doesn't work with a hoop profile (circle within a circle), so will need to loft using the outer circle and then the inner.

What I would try - no knowing what the shape actually looks like in 3d, or what you're trying to achieve...

1) create the egg/balloon shape

2) offset a plane to be the balloon round opening

3) create a sketch for the balloon opening plus another larger one to represent where you want it merging into the egg.

4) using the outer circle, split the egg surface and delete this area, turning it into a surface

5) loft from the new opening to the inner sketch circle - using a tangential constaint on both.  (I've found I've had to do this as a surface.  Also, make sure to select the edges of the opening, so might need to use "select other" to get this)

6) turn into 1 piece, either boundary patch the sketch loop and then stitch it all together or sculpt with the work-plane as an end-cap.

7) shell, selecting the flat circular face as one to remove.

see the attached quick mock-up.

note. thinking about it, after making the example, I'd probably create the egg as a surface to start with instead of creating it as a solid only to turn it into a surface later.  doesn't really matter because it would still need the area of its face removed, but might have been possible with trim instead of split+delete...  as a thought...

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 3 of 8
SveinE
in reply to: sam_m

Hi

Yes sorry I should have pointed out what version it was. Sorry!

For me it is ok if you use 2012/13/14 🙂

Thanks for your idea, it was very useful trick and a nice approach.

But back to this particular case:-)

I it is really not an "egg" shape:-(

This is what I know.

Bottom diameter 440mm (not correct\circular in IGES file)

Height: 174,2mm Can increase if necesarry

Height to center of arm 85,4 Can increase up to 2mm

Arm is dia 60mm. Should end in apipe with outer dia 60mm

Message 4 of 8
sam_m

can you attach the IGES?

Sam M.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 5 of 8
SveinE

Here you are sir 🙂

br

Svein

Message 6 of 8
SveinE

Hi Sam

Did you get the file?

br

Svein

Message 7 of 8
sam_m

hi,

sorry, I've been busy with "proper" work Smiley Embarassed

Now I can see it in 3d I can see it's not an egg but a blended cap from a 440mm round to a 60mm round, with a 90degree twist.

I've shown an example which kinda works of a single loft using 2 rails for the upper and lower ridge lines and depending how you need the curve of the cap to look, these will have to change.  To get a smoother result I think you're going to need more rails at the horizontals of the 60mm end, but without knowing the required shape of the dome above the 440mm end, it's difficult to picture these.

Tbh, i think the result would be smoother if the 60mm opening was greater than 85.4mm away from the larger opening, but I'm guessing that dimension is needed to allow this to connect to other features at both ends.

shout if you've got any questions and hope it helps to show a loft from 1 end to the other with some rails should do the trick for this.

Sam M.

Message 8 of 8
SveinE

Thanks for your help and suggestions 🙂

(sorry for late respons)

br

Svein

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report