Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 11 of 21 (851 Views)

Re: Suppressed components in BOM

08-15-2012 09:43 AM in reply to: cwhetten

Sometimes using the Rebuild All command followed by the Save All command will clear the "Your assembly must be saved..." message.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Active Contributor
Kris_Inv2013
Message 12 of 21 (840 Views)

08-16-2012 02:52 AM in reply to: mrattray

Okay. So we all agree the following:

1. we can’t visually suppress components via iLogic in Master LOD and can’t run iLogic Rules
  2. a custom LOD is only a visual/graphic/memory saving option only, and can’t generate BOM however CAN RUN iLOGIC RULES !

Why is a custom LOD prerequisite for running an iLogic rule?

Thanks,

Kris

Active Contributor
Kris_Inv2013
Message 13 of 21 (837 Views)

08-16-2012 03:39 AM in reply to: Kris_Inv2013

More importantly why is it not able to generate BOM in custom LOD?  Because according to the Autodes Inventor Help File this is exactly what it is inteded to achieve:

file:///C:/Program%20Files/Autodesk/Inventor%202012/Help_Lite/index.html?query=BOM%20view

*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 14 of 21 (832 Views)

08-16-2012 03:54 AM in reply to: Kris_Inv2013

Kris_Inv2013 wrote:

Okay. So we all agree the following:

1. we can’t visually suppress components via iLogic in Master LOD and can’t run iLogic Rules
  2. a custom LOD is only a visual/graphic/memory saving option only, and can’t generate BOM however CAN RUN iLOGIC RULES !

Why is a custom LOD prerequisite for running an iLogic rule?

Thanks,

Kris

You can run iLogic rules in any LOD, including Master. However, you can't do anything in a rule that you can't do via the UI. You can't suppress components via RMB in the Master LOD, therefore you can't run a rule that involves component suppression in the Master, either.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Active Contributor
Kris_Inv2013
Message 15 of 21 (817 Views)

08-17-2012 03:31 AM in reply to: mrattray

You can run iLogic rules in any LOD, including Master. However, you can't do anything in a rule that you can't do via the UI. You can't suppress components via RMB in the Master LOD, therefore you can't run a rule that involves component suppression in the Master, either.

Thank you Mike!

What this means then is that when I attempt to suppress (via RBM) a component then it performs a LOD shift/change operation automatically?

So that we can not suppress components by definition in the Master LOD?

Also this method (iLogic/ Component.IsActive ) is not suitable to suppress components and by this to create new assembly variants of a Master Assembly?

Could you please give some clue of a more suitable method then if there is one?

Should the suppression not be suitable, is there an "exlusion" type methode include/exclude compnents at multi assy level?

many thanks.

*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 16 of 21 (811 Views)

08-17-2012 05:32 AM in reply to: Kris_Inv2013

Kris_Inv2013 wrote:

What this means then is that when I attempt to suppress (via RBM) a component then it performs a LOD shift/change operation automatically?

Yes, if you suppress a component via RMB IV creates LevelOfDetail1.

Kris_Inv2013 wrote:

So that we can not suppress components by definition in the Master LOD?

Exactly.

Kris_Inv2013 wrote:

Also this method (iLogic/ Component.IsActive ) is not suitable to suppress components and by this to create new assembly variants of a Master Assembly?

Could you please give some clue of a more suitable method then if there is one?

Should the suppression not be suitable, is there an "exlusion" type methode include/exclude compnents at multi assy level?

I fully and completely agree that this a MAJOR design oversight on AutoDesk's part. However, it is workable and there really isn't any better method available.

What I can do fo you is supply you with the attached code. I wrote this myself for dealing with this problem. It looks at your current assemblie's LOD as well as the LOD of all sub assemblies and checks the LOD type, changing it to Custom if need be. I recommend placing the text file in your wokspace's root and calling it as an external rule.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Active Contributor
Kris_Inv2013
Message 17 of 21 (765 Views)

08-21-2012 06:15 AM in reply to: mrattray

Hi Mike, many thanks for investing your time to write a code for me. It works fine when I run it from the Master LOD. Called it as an external rule in my Top Level assy.

I have message comming up tho in a Level1 assy:

"Error in rule: Rule1, in document: ASSY1.iam (Custom)

ThisBOM: Could not find a BOM view named "ASSY.iam".

If the name is correct, then please enable this BOM view, and save the assembly."

I have got all BOM views enabled, and this error essage comes up ether I run the rules from Top Level or Level1 assemblies... any idea what ithis means?

thanks,

K

*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 18 of 21 (761 Views)

08-21-2012 06:22 AM in reply to: Kris_Inv2013

No, I don't have any idea why you're getting that message. I've never gotten it with any of my models.

Does it only occur with certain assemblies, or everything you call the rule from? If it's only certain assemblies can you post an example for me to look at?

Did you modify the rule? If you did could you post your modified version so I can check it for mistakes?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Active Contributor
Kris_Inv2013
Message 19 of 21 (753 Views)

08-21-2012 08:43 AM in reply to: mrattray

mrattray wrote:

No, I don't have any idea why you're getting that message. I've never gotten it with any of my models.

Does it only occur with certain assemblies, or everything you call the rule from? If it's only certain assemblies can you post an example for me to look at?

Did you modify the rule? If you did could you post your modified version so I can check it for mistakes?

sorry, fals alarm. the error message come frome the coe liine that I have created in my original rule.

I am envisaging designing the following procedure and I am wondering if you could comment on it in terms of if it makes sense and if it is feasible before I actually invest time and effort into it.

The highlighted bit will be an iLogic driven operation and the rest is carried out manually.  

The reason why I would like to use the Custom LOD for start and finish is the visual representation it provides of course.

Change parameters on excel spreadsheet --> Open Master Assy (in Custom LOD) this is the Trigger to...--> Generate new variant of parametrc Master Assy --> when click on BOM, iLogic to change to Master LOD --> Generate BOM --> Revert back to Custom LOD --> Save As New Project 

I have got the blue bit covered already, do you think that the red bit is feasible? Can the Bill of Materials on the ribbon trigger the rule?

thanks a lot!

*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 20 of 21 (746 Views)

08-21-2012 09:27 AM in reply to: Kris_Inv2013

I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish.  I need to know what your end goal is here.

Why are you changing the LOD to master?

What do you mean by "generate BOM"?

Do you realize that the BOM is fully accessible and always the same regardless of what LOD is active?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.