Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

Distinguished Contributor
malleswara.rao
Message 1 of 21 (2,256 Views)

Suppressed components in BOM

2256 Views, 20 Replies
04-10-2012 09:11 PM

we are using level of details to suppress few components. when we are trying to take BOM for that level of details. we are getting the suppressed components also. is there any control we can do avoiding that suppressed component. I know if you make the BOM sequesnce to reference that wont come in BOM. but we need that file for other LOD.

*Expert Elite*
PaulMunford
Message 2 of 21 (2,238 Views)

Re: Suppressed components in BOM

04-11-2012 05:43 AM in reply to: malleswara.rao

I don't know of any way to do this. An item in an assembly is allways shown in the BOM unless it is 'Phantom', 'Reference' or part of a purchased or inseperable set.

You can work around this by creating a Master assembly, and then 'pushing' the item numbers down into your part files. You can then read the part numbers directly from the part files, and you can create assemblys that better refelect your process.

More details here:

http://cadsetterout.com/inventor-tutorials/autodesk-inventor-creating-coordinated-bom-for-large-asse...

Instead of this, don't forget that you can filter the results of the BOM in your parts list, for example, only showing Ballooned parts or only showing a range of parts.

I hope that helps - let us know how you get on!

-Paul-

The CAD Setter Out Blog @CadSetterOut

Inventor Surfacing | AutoCAD | CAD Standards

Please use the Mark Solutions! Accept as Solution or Give Kudos! Kudos functions - Thank you!
Valued Mentor
rhasell
Message 3 of 21 (2,221 Views)

04-11-2012 04:40 PM in reply to: malleswara.rao

Try and use "View Representations" instead of LOD in your assembly, switch off visibility of the components you wish to remove from the BOM.

You can then select a Parts List filter for that particular representation.

Reg
Autodesk PDS Ultimate 2015 Update 1 Build 159
Intel Core i7 (950@3.07GHz)/Win7x64 (Home) - 12GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Please Give Kudo's / accept as a solution if it fixes your problem.
*Expert Elite*
cwhetten
Message 4 of 21 (2,206 Views)

04-12-2012 08:44 AM in reply to: malleswara.rao

What version of Inventor are you using?

Using iLogic to control the component suppression will change the BOM so that suppressed components are removed, and the quantities reflect the LOD.

iLogic was available to subscription customers with Inventor 2010.  Since 2011 it has been available in basic Inventor "out of the box".

*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 5 of 21 (2,199 Views)

04-12-2012 09:23 AM in reply to: cwhetten

Just for clarity..
Its a "BOM" in an assembly

Its a "Parts List" in a drawing.

LOD is a memory management tool used to unload certain parts from memory in an effort to speed up assembly modeling. It was not intended to remove certain items from a parts list. (Design view reps/part list filters do that)

One limitation of the design view rep parts list filter is that if you have 10 of the same screws in an assembly and you turn the visibility off on 5 of those screws the parts list is still going to show 10. That row will not be removed until all instances of the part are made invisible.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Down with IDW/DWG files..... Long live 3D PMI... Hurry it up already..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

*Expert Elite*
cwhetten
Message 6 of 21 (2,194 Views)

04-12-2012 09:48 AM in reply to: mcgyvr

mcgyvr wrote:

LOD is a memory management tool used to unload certain parts from memory in an effort to speed up assembly modeling. It was not intended to remove certain items from a parts list. (Design view reps/part list filters do that)

I would have agreed with that statement a few years ago.  But iLogic has blurred the lines a little more.  The problem you mentioned that turning off the visibility of 5 out of 10 parts still shows a quantity of 10 is also true for suppressing 5 out of 10 parts--UNLESS you use iLogic to do the suppressing...

So now there is a benefit other than system resource management to using suppression instead of visibility:  your parts lists accurately reflect the LOD, even the quantities.

*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 7 of 21 (2,188 Views)

04-12-2012 11:00 AM in reply to: cwhetten

cwhetten,

Do you have any links or something where I can learn about this ilogic part suppression stuff and how it relates or can change the parts list?  I'd like to do a little learning on the subject.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Down with IDW/DWG files..... Long live 3D PMI... Hurry it up already..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

*Expert Elite*
cwhetten
Message 8 of 21 (2,178 Views)

04-12-2012 01:28 PM in reply to: mcgyvr

I haven't been able to find anything that documents the phenomenon, but I have seen it with my own eyes.  I attached a simple assembly that I use to test various iLogic scenarios.  I set it up to demonstrate the subject.

The component suppression is controlled by a few parameters.  Setting the TestPartsListQTY parameter to True will suppress one each of the bar and angle components.  In this state, the drawing parts list shows quantities of 1 each, even though the master LOD has 2 each.

If the components are manually suppressed, you see the parts list behavior we have come to expect over the years (quantities are total for the master LOD unless all occurrences are suppressed).  If you use iLogic code to suppress (namely the Component.IsActive() snippet), then you get the behavior that I mentioned.

It appears that the Component.IsActive() code not only suppresses the components, but also sets the BOM state of those occurrences to Reference, which accounts for why the parts list behaves the way it does.

Active Contributor
Kris_Inv2013
Message 9 of 21 (2,083 Views)

08-15-2012 08:11 AM in reply to: cwhetten

Hi Gents, I hope you all are well? The topic just I have been looking for!

I can confirm that iLogic driven component suppress works fine as explained by cwhetten.

However I am encountering with the following issue:

(background: I am working on a spreadsheet driven assy to change part parameters and am using iLogic to suppress components in the assy. I will drive the whole assy via the spreadsheet @ the end. Wanting to create new variants based on the spreadsheet driven generic assy)

I can’t run iLogic rules in Master LOD, the following error message comes up:

“Component.IsActive: Cannot change the suppression state of components.

The active Level of Detail in ASSY1.aim is not a custom Level of Detail.”

I came over this by creating another LOD (View1). Now this works fine, components are suppressed once I run the rule. And they come back fine if I change the spreadsheet.

But it does not let me generate a BOM in assy mode, if I press the “Bill of Materials” button on the ribbon bar:

“the assembly must be saved before performing the bill of Materialsoperation.” Error message comes up all the time, even after saving it several times.

If I change it back to Master LOD, it does generate a BOM which is correct to the iLogic Rule but of course the components are not suppressed though!!

Any ideas how can I come over this? Suppress parts by iLogic and generate BOMs based on that change?

Thanks in advance.

Kris

*Expert Elite*
cwhetten
Message 10 of 21 (2,078 Views)

08-15-2012 09:27 AM in reply to: Kris_Inv2013

I run into this problem too.  It is one of the "joys" of working with LOD's.

Do you have any drawings open at the same time as your assembly?  If so, don't.  Having them both open at the same time (when using LOD's) just causes problems.

When this happens, I usually just save my work, exit the assembly, then reload it.  This usually works.  Sometimes you have to close every file in Inventor and just reopen the assembly you wish to work on.

It's a HUGE pain.  It's almost enough to make me abandon LOD's and find another way to get things done.  I would do it in a heartbeat if we hadn't already put 2 years of work into our model based on the LOD philosophy.

I think on our next project we will try a different approach.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.