Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

suppress first element of a component pattern

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
stephengibson76
1410 Views, 4 Replies

suppress first element of a component pattern

I have a rectangular component pattern which started out with all components.  As more structure was added around it I started supressing different elements to suit, now a piece of structure has gone thru element 1 but i dont seem to be able to supress it...  is there an easy way to get rid of element 1 without having to redefine the pattern? (redefining causes me other problems)

TIA

Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Cadmanto
in reply to: stephengibson76

Stephen,

Not thinking there is a way other then turning off the visibility of the item.  Is that an option for you?

The only other thing that comes to mind is, and this is not an option with this software like others I have used, have the ability within the pattern dialog window to be able to select and turn on/off certain members of a pattern.

That would be the cats meow for you.

Also, maybe post an image of what you are doing so we can see it.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

You can't suppres the originating Element, but you can any/all of the other Elements of the pattern. You can suppress the child of Element:1, but it will create an LOD.

Best bet is to re-do the pattern. Cheers.

Message 4 of 5
stephengibson76
in reply to: Anonymous

thanks for the replies, i did the pattern again and re constrained everything to it, I do model with design intent but there was no way I could predict that change...

Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

Message 5 of 5
sam_m

you can surpress all but the 1st element - and I've been, not caught out, but frustrated by this in the past too, as designs have changed...  (and I've done crude things like delete face and heal when I've been in a rush and couldn't easily recreate the pattern, as it would screw with a load of constraints/features down the line)

But, I can understand why it is - think of it in the respect of the feature tree:

1) create feature1

2) pattern feature1 (it needs something to pattern)

if you supress the 1st instance, that's the feature you've used to "explain to Inventor" what you're wanting to pattern - without that, there's nothing (no model change) to use in the pattern-set.  If that makes sense...

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report