Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suppress Base Mirror Feature

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
meck
2952 Views, 5 Replies

Suppress Base Mirror Feature

Hi All,

Is it possible to create feature A mirror it to create feature B and suppress feature A without suppressing or crashing feature B? What I have are very complicated left hand and right hand features. I could create the B feature again but there are a lot of dimensions. I could mirror the sketch, but there are formulas controlled by iLogic in them, and mirroring a sketch seems to break those formulas and I only get the dimension. 

If it is not possible it would be an excellent addition to 2014!

Thanks in advance.

Mike Eck
Master Drafter/ CAD Programmer
Using Inventor 2018
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dan_inv09
in reply to: meck

If you really just want to know if it is possible to suppress a feature and keep it's mirror, then no. But...

If you choose "Mirror a solid" instead of "Mirror individual features"  there is a checkbox for "Remove Original".

What does your part look like (i.e. please attach a picture or file)? Is this feature dependent on other features need to not be mirrored?

If you tell us a little more about what you want to do and there might be a way to get what you need.

Message 3 of 6
meck
in reply to: dan_inv09

The features are solid bodies. I was trying to keep it simple by not bring them up. Using iLogic code I want to switch back and forth between the base feature and the mirror feature by supressing the one I do not need. I cannot remove the original feature, because I will still need it in certain cases. I'm not sure how my company would react to me even showing a picture of our models. They are very protective of them.

I hope this helps.

Mike Eck
Using Inventor 2018
Message 4 of 6
IgorMir

Hi Mike

If the idea of mirroring the whole solid with suppress original doesn't work for you then you can try to use a shared sketch for all the down stream features you want to manipulate. The thing is - you have to exclude dependency between features. That's where the shared sketch comes into the picture.

To represent different configuration of the model I would use old fashion iPart.Smiley Happy

Best Regards,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 5 of 6
meck
in reply to: IgorMir

Thank for the response! I do use sharded sketches when possible, but there are cases where the mirrored part does not mirror across the same plane that the sketch is on. For example I may extrude the base part in the Z direction, but want to mirror it across the YZ plane.

My parts are a bit more complicated than iParts alone can handle. I need iLogic to make decisions for me based on certain cases.

Mike Eck
Using Inventor 2018
Message 6 of 6
SBix26

Sounds as if derived parts would be helpful.  For complex, or even simple, mirrored parts, I do the mirroring as multi-body solids, then derive to individual right/left hand parts.  For your case where the mirrored features are various multibody solids, you could derive several solids into each finished part.

Or, I could be misunderstanding completely what you're trying to do.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report