Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support Inventor in "Inventor vs Solidworks Discussions"

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
pompeo79
5315 Views, 10 Replies

Support Inventor in "Inventor vs Solidworks Discussions"

Hi to all,

often i have to front discussion of that type "Mmm....Solidworks can do it and that..Inventor doesn't !" or "If i want do that with Solidworks i do like this, in Inventor it is not so easy", "If i want a sheet metal solidbody..etc" etc etc

Given that every good software do a lots of good things and some not-so-well, and that every good software is better in something compared to others, and that everyone has their own personal tastes ...
  i would like to answer something just to level the comparation and not leave Inventor as a loser when it really isnt it.

I know a little of Solidworks, but not enough... 

Can you list Pros things (tangible non-abstract or based on personal taste..) that Inventor do well and Soliworks not so well and why,

and things that Inventor do and Soliworks doesn't do at all, and in general where Inventor Win without doubts vs Solidworks.

Thank you all guys!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: pompeo79

Get ready for a lot of noise with little valuable signal.

Part of the problem is this is a running target.  Which releases of the software?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
Cadmanto

I am not sure what your ultimate goal is.  Meaning are you looking ro purchase one over the other or are you trying to convince management that one is better then the other.  Not to mention, depends on what industry you are in.  Do you do a lot of sheet metal? molding? machining?  All these are functions in both softwares that are similar yet different, but if you aren't in one of those industries, you will never know/use those functionalities.

A lot of what you are asking is is personal opinion.  I am a long time SW user and have been using Inventor for 2+ years now.  There are things I like about both.  If you search these forums you will find a lot of threads similar to what you are asking.  If you look through those threads you will probably get a lot of your questions answered.  Plus, if you go to the SW forum, you will also get similar type threads with an opposite spin on things.

Just some of my thoughts.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 11
mbs100k

Solidworks beats Inventor hands down. I've used SW for 5 years, and inventor for 1 yr. Invnetor seems to fight me every step of the way. It feels like its a $500.00 program grabbed out of the bin at Walmart.

The graphics are cheesy, the look is amature. It is anything but a smooth user freindly program. Plus, it costs more.

And here's one, SW actually communicates to AutoCad better than Inventor. Whats up w/ that? Like the only similar thing is the name Autodesk. I dont like Invntor at all.

Message 5 of 11
graemev
in reply to: mbs100k

@mbs100k wrote:

Solidworks beats Inventor hands down....

That hasn't been my experience.  Perhaps it is true for the tasks you're applying them to?

I've been using both for the past 3 years and find it to be six of one and a half dozen of the other.  Each has its strengths and weaknesses.  As for value for dollar spent, I'd say it's pretty much a dead heat.  The difference is inconsequential if any of the decision rests upon compatibility with your clients' needs.  We have both because we have some clients using SolidWorks and some using Inventor.  Most of them prefer to exchange data in the native format, and I agree with their reasoning: no value is lost in the transfer.

If all you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.  If all you have are nails, most anything will do as a hammer.

Message 6 of 11
JDMather

@mbs100k wrote:

Solidworks beats Inventor hands down.

The software beats... or the operator beats....?

I will make a subtantial wager that I can outperform  hands down you on SolidWorks.
I will make the same wager that I can outperform you hands down with Inventor.

Assuming I can win both wagers - what does that say about the relative capabilities of either software?

Nothing!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
PaulMunford

Dude - Google it.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=inventor+vs+solidworks&oq=inventor+vs+solidworks&aqs=chrome..69i57...

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 8 of 11
Cadmanto
in reply to: JDMather

JDK,

What it proves is that you are a more qualified user of Inventor and SW (professional in both I recall).  Not to mention more qualified to speak to the differences.

But, like you said to the POP, it does not prove anything because HE is the one using it, not you or I.

Paul,

Thank you for proving my point!!!!  This is old stale news!!! 

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 9 of 11
pompeo79

Dear friends,  i dind't want to detone a war for which one is better.

Just only some topics to oppose when some talk in only one direction "SW do this, Inventor don't!"  "Sw is better here ", "SW is incomparable in this  respect Inventor..."

I would like to know from who know both if and where Inventor is objectively better without doubt or where SW is arrear compared to Inventor.

In every module.

Last releases , for example.

Message 10 of 11
Mark.Downes

Hi Pompeo79,

This question (or variations) has been asked on here a few times over the 3 to 4 years I have been reading this forum.

The Basic reply you will see, and I believe to be true is use the one that suits you best.

My background has been Solidworks for Civil Aviation and Inventor for Military Vehicles.

I have used them both in day to day applications (initial concepts, design for manufacture, production drawings, etc…) I really enjoy using both of these Cad packages. When I use Solidworks I will evangelize about how good it is, and when I use Inventor I will sing its praises too.

I think the only advice I could give is they are not the same software. They do have slightly different ways of working.

Don’t be a one trick Pony in how you work.

Not everyone works the same, not all Cad package will either.

So the choice really is use the one that you like best as their both good programs.

To coin a phrase ”it’s a poor workman that balm’s his tools”

Hope this helps

Cheers

Mark

Inventor 2014

Cheers
Mark
Inventor 2018, 3DS Max 2018, Vault 2018
Message 11 of 11
Mario428

@mbs100k wrote:

Solidworks beats Inventor hands down. I've used SW for 5 years, and inventor for 1 yr. Invnetor seems to fight me every step of the way. It feels like its a $500.00 program grabbed out of the bin at Walmart.

The graphics are cheesy, the look is amature. It is anything but a smooth user freindly program. Plus, it costs more.

And here's one, SW actually communicates to AutoCad better than Inventor. Whats up w/ that? Like the only similar thing is the name Autodesk. I dont like Invntor at all.

You know a year or so I might have agreed with you on that. But now haven given it a fair chance I am productive and find it a very usable program. I have some very good backup from some quite knowledgable users here in my office.

Not going to get into a "member" measuring contest like another poster seems to want to but wonder what was going thru the OP's mind posting this in an Inventor support forum when there is already a thread causing some hard feelings.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report