Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student parts to Commercial parts

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
sam__gleeson
2080 Views, 13 Replies

Student parts to Commercial parts

I have quite a few parts created when using the education version of Inventor.Now i am using Commercial version of Inventor.If i save the education created files in the commercial version does it remove any association with the education files?

Best Regards

Sam

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
raveruben
in reply to: sam__gleeson

sam,
i had the same problem a year ago, but never found an answer.
make sure you dont use a edu part in a assembly made in commercial, because one part can ''infect'' your whole assambly.
maybe by this time there is a solution for this problem, goodluck!

Message 3 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: sam__gleeson

Recreate all work from scratch with commercial license.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 14
Paul-Mason
in reply to: JDMather

There is, or there used to be, a small application available on request from Autodesk to remove the student stamp from files. Don't know if this is still available or not.

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
Message 5 of 14
dgorsman
in reply to: Paul-Mason

I believe the intent of that tool is to correct problems when EDU content is used by mistake e.g. downloading parts from a sharing site.  It was never intended to convert content that was deliberately created with the EDU versions.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 14
TravisNave
in reply to: dgorsman

That is correct.  Using educational work in a commercial product explicitly violates the license agreement. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 7 of 14
trenthoskings
in reply to: TravisNave

Where are Edu/Student version highlighted.I see Student Version on the Assembly heading.Where do parts display whether it is a commercial or Student version part?

Trent

Message 8 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: trenthoskings

@trenthoskings wrote:

....Where do parts display whether it is a commercial or Student version part?

Trent

Go to Help>About Inventor and check the license type.

Autodesk removed the explicit edu banner in later releases, but the EULA is still the EULA.

I wonder if there is some sort of internal marker on student license created files that will eventually make itself known.

Student License.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 9 of 14
trenthoskings

Thanks

I have seen parts which have name of part + STUDENT VERSION up the top and also parts where there is just the part name without STUDENT VERSION.Is this the difference between a EDU part and a commercial part.

So if you save a commercial part to a Student version of Inventor will it then stamp that part as part name + STUDENT VERSION up the top?

Also i gather if you have a part made by STUDENT VERSION and then save on a commercial licence will it remove the stamp from the part STUDENT VERSION

Regards

Trent

Message 10 of 14
JDMather

Also i gather if you have a part made by STUDENT VERSION and then save on a commercial licence will it remove the stamp from the part STUDENT VERSION

The image I attached was not of an open file, only an open seat of Inventor student license.

Saving student license work in commercial license has never removed the student tag.  Once tagged it is forever tagged (unless Autodesk helps remove or some other technique used). According to the EULA any attempt to remove is a violation of the EULA.

But now - AFAIK there is no explicit warning or banner that the content was created with edu license.

Only the EULA the student agrees to and the start of the program gives any indication that it is student license.

The interesting question is, "With the removal of this explicit warning, what happens to these edu files 5 yrs down the road?"

Message 11 of 14
TravisNave

@Anonymous wrote:

The interesting question is, "With the removal of this explicit warning, what happens to these edu files 5 yrs down the road?"

Exactly. I suspect they will turn it on after the upcoming no-upgrades experiment happens and they catch a bunch of people's hands in the cookie jar. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 12 of 14
trenthoskings

A good point about the 5 years

Also if creating good parts when learning on Student version and then go to the commercial version only to have to re-model all those parts could take a long time if you still want to use these parts.

So i am assuming that if the part does not have the STUDENT VERSION in the part name at the top then it would be a commercial version part

Regards

Trent

Message 13 of 14
JDMather

@trenthoskings wrote:

So i am assuming that if the part does not have the STUDENT VERSION in the part name at the top then it would be a commercial version part.

No, no, no.

You have missed my statement several times.  There is no longer any explicit warning or banner letting you know if it is student or commercial - only the student knows for sure.  (or Autodesk, the students are usually clueless about the entire issue, I doubt 5 students in the history of Autodesk have actually read the EULA)

Recreating the work is a cheap price to pay for free learning use of professional (expensive) software.

Message 14 of 14
sam__gleeson

Does anyone know what would happen to EDU files after 5 years?

Sam

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report