Mentor
BarryZA
Message 1 of 3 (715 Views)
Accepted Solution

Stuck on JD Mather tutorial

715 Views, 2 Replies
12-21-2012 04:12 AM

Greetings all

I am working my way through JD Mather's tuts, thanks to the project files he very speedily sent me.

I am on tut 11, cylindrical cam, point 10 - Extrude the outer ring to the spline surface.

Everything else has gone like clockwork, but I now get "extrusion distance is zero.Use Edit Extruded Feature to change the extrusion distance."

I have re-tried a couple of times up to this point, but I can't see what I'm missing.

I will attach my attempt.

P.S. I have learned more about surfaces in 2 days than in the last 6 months of using/abusing Inventor.

- Inventor 2013 Pro

Looks like the behavior has changed since I wrote that tutorial.  The direction arrow is wrong.  (looks like a bug in the progam to me)

Try using Between instead and select the end of the cylinder and select the surface.

BTW- there are now two different and easier techniques to model this cam.

In a later release the Sweep with Guide Surface functionality was added

and then

later a Cylindrical Cam Design Accelerator was added.

There might be some related use of this more complex technique that makes it still relevant.

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 2 of 3 (696 Views)

Re: Stuck on JD Mather tutorial

12-21-2012 05:34 AM in reply to: BarryZA

Looks like the behavior has changed since I wrote that tutorial.  The direction arrow is wrong.  (looks like a bug in the progam to me)

Try using Between instead and select the end of the cylinder and select the surface.

BTW- there are now two different and easier techniques to model this cam.

In a later release the Sweep with Guide Surface functionality was added

and then

later a Cylindrical Cam Design Accelerator was added.

There might be some related use of this more complex technique that makes it still relevant.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Mentor
BarryZA
Message 3 of 3 (642 Views)

Re: Stuck on JD Mather tutorial

12-22-2012 05:33 AM in reply to: JDMather

Thank-you again, I just knew the solution was going to fall into the "minor point that I should have worked out on my own" category.

And I really enjoyed the vacuum tutorial, it made me realize how badly I have been modelling. 

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.