Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Structural Steel Shop Drawings

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
bjur
8985 Views, 7 Replies

Structural Steel Shop Drawings

I'm curious if any one has used Inventor for the production of structural steel shop drawings.  I know there are other programs out there like Tekla or SDS2 for this purpose, however, it seams that inventor should be more than capable to do the work.  I attached a couple samples of drawings we did with Revit.  There's lots of bugs and problems doing this with Revit, hense the desire to do this using Inventor.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
rhasell
in reply to: bjur

Hi

Not sure what you are looking for, but yes, I use inventor for Structural steel, that is our primary industry.

70% of our work is Hollow steel sections.

20% is UB's and UC's

5% is Aluminium Extrusions.

5% is Rigging.

We are now have to prove our worth against Rhino, Grasshopper and Tekla.

I can help if needed.

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
Message 3 of 8
bjur
in reply to: rhasell

Thanks.  I just wanted to know i'm not using a chain saw to cut butter.  I need to learn more about Inventor and how "stuff gets done".

Message 4 of 8
cadman777

rhasell,

Please send me information on how you automate your structural modeling, joint creation, platform/handrail/ladder/stairs detailing, etc.

Thanx ...

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator
Message 5 of 8
rhasell
in reply to: cadman777

Chris

Appologies mate, I did not see the question.

We don't do any automation, it is all manual. I don't even use Frame Generator for my Shop models, because, if something changes, the headache of changing the BOM, and drawings is a real pain.

Our industry does not do any platform/handrail/ladder/stairs detailing, as we are focused on Tension membrane structures. So most of it is trusses, columns and beams.

I have a lot of iLogic to set up the BOM and assist with mundaine detaing tasks. I also have a few iLogic parts and assemblies of commonly used components.

Regards

Reg
Message 6 of 8
cadman777

Reg,

Thanx for getting back to me. I hear ya w/the FG. I do it like you too most of the time.

Do you have a good resource for learning iLogic for people like me who are weak in the area of programming?

I want to fix the weak parts of my drawings, drawing views, boms and other things, but can't do it w/out-of-the-box functionality. It's possible iLogic will do the trick, but there's a lotta different things to do w/it, so I need help discovering how to do them.

Thanx

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator
Message 7 of 8
rhasell
in reply to: cadman777

HI

The biggest thing with iLogic it time.

PM me with some of your issues, hopefully I can help. If there is something that we can post/share with the community, we will.

Most of my rules are done to improve the BOM and detailing functionality. (Also the adhere to company standards)

I am pretty good  at copy and paste. Though I must admit I have become a lot better at iLogic than I used to be.  I get an idea of what I want to do and I will then find small bits of code all over the web and then stitch them together to make a working rule.

My hero is Curtis, he has helped me is so many ways, I have stolen/borrowed so many snippets from him.

My difficult/challenging rules are documented, for future applications, and the best debugging tool is message box, with a sequential number.

Look forward to solving a few issues.

Regards

Reg
Message 8 of 8
BarryZA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report