Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Structural Steel Design and Detailing in Autodesk Inventor

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
kabindrabhattarai
11296 Views, 13 Replies

Structural Steel Design and Detailing in Autodesk Inventor

We use Autodesk Inventor (Product Design Suite) to design our products. Our products are pretty big and have to anchored and supported on side with structural steel. We have been designing the layout of our product on Autodesk Inventor but have not been modeling the structual steel in it.

The reason is that Autodesk Inventor did not seem very friendly with steel design and detailing for fabrication at all. However, we definitely would like to model everything (our product and the steel) as a main layout in Autodesk Inventor. From this complete layout, we would like to create fabrication prints for the steel as well. Does autodesk have a package that would help us accomplish what we want to do?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
cbenner
in reply to: kabindrabhattarai

Hi,

Are you using Frame Generator for your steel work?

Inventor does not have anything specific for Structural layout and detailing, though I think you could do it with FG, and possibly export the drawings to Autocad for detailing?  The other possibility would be to design the products in Inventor, and look into Plant 3D for the structural side.  The product models can be exported to Plant 3d (I'm not familiar with the procedures).  I might suggest posting a similar question  on the Plant 3D forum and get some opinions from users there as to whether it would be a good move for you.

Message 3 of 14
kabindrabhattarai
in reply to: cbenner

I have tried using Frame Generator. It is okay for steel design but still does not help you in steel detailing.

What does FG stand for? Could you make me clear on the capabilities Plant 3D has? I will try posting a question there.

Message 4 of 14
DarrenP

autocad structural detailing may also do what you want

http://www.autodesk.com/products/autocad-structural-detailing/overview

your going to have to post your questions about this product in the product forum

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Structural-Detailing/bd-p/346

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 14

Plant 3D only has basic layout abilities.  If Inventor doesn't do it for you, Plant 3D certainly won't (it assumes you will be using something else for detailed structural design).  For dedicated structural steel design tools, you will likely be looking at one of the Revit or MEP packages.  Of course, as you get further into tools for dedicated design work, the more difficult it will be to communicate between the different programs.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 14

We use IV for all of our steel detailing needs but we're not doing large "stick-framed" structures just platforms, vessels, platework, etc. Most of our steel details are for small structures around our equipment or piping.

I'm out of town and on my phone so I can't elaborate but if you put in the time creating the content and customizations, IV can be an effective tool. It is certainly not the answer for everyone and the connection solutions we have are not as intuitive as other programs but we were tired of using 7 different programs for what we do and found a way to get it down to two. If you do a search for all my posts you'll likely find a bunch of information about the way we do it and what types of work is most efficien for ust.

Good luck!
Inventor Professional
Message 7 of 14

I also forgot to add that although we have been able to make it work, not all of the detail drawings are 100% AISC/NISD compliant, but our fabricators have been flexible in us getting them something that works well for them even if it's not exactly what they are used to.
Inventor Professional
Message 8 of 14

When you say IV what does it mean? Is it "Autodesk IV"? Because I could not find such package online.

Message 9 of 14
DarrenP

IV is Inventor

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 14
filso

It would be incredible useful to have structural detailing build in to frame generator. Please Autodesk, make this feature for the 2015 Inventor upgrade!!!
Message 11 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: filso

@filso wrote:
 Please Autodesk, make this feature for the 2015 Inventor upgrade!!!

By this time 2015 is probably well into Beta (functionality set and in testing).  If it isn't in there now, you should be posting this to the idea station.

http://beta.autodesk.com

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/idb-p/v1232

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 12 of 14
benyala

for best Best WorkFlow for steel you got three steps, revit structure>Analyis in Robot Structure Analysis >Autocad Structure Detailing for Advanced Detailing, you ll had best Results

Message 13 of 14
cadman777
in reply to: jeanchile

Jean,

Would you kindly send me links to the customizations you use?
I need to learn how to do this.

My Inventor is 2010Suite.

Thanks ...

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator
Message 14 of 14
jeanchile
in reply to: cadman777

@cadman777 wrote:

Jean,

Would you kindly send me links to the customizations you use?

I would love to send you the links to the stuff we use but there are no links. What I mean is that all of the customizations we have developed for this (iFeatures, iParts, iAssemblies, Custom CC Profiles, iLogic programming, etc.) are all things we have developed ourselves and I am not able to give out. I can certainly point you to some of my replies to others about this that point out the general process, but we've spent 5 years and a whole bunch of money developing what we need and I am forbidden from giving it out. I am happy to help you along the way if you are interested in developing this stuff yourself but the links below should give you some idea of what we have done.

Good Luck!

Overall Process

How to Handle Structural Bracing

Example of One of the Largest Structures We've Done

Inventor Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report