Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stress simulation 2d

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
jeremyad87
1541 Views, 7 Replies

Stress simulation 2d

Hello I'm working on a project that requires 2d stress analysis that uses 8 node quadratic elements, with absolute mesh size capabilities. can these requirents be met useing only the stress analysis software that comes with autodesk inventor proffesional 2010.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
swalton
in reply to: jeremyad87

As I recall, IV 2010 FEA only supports 3d tet elements.  Later versions, 2013 or 2014, support 2d elements of thin 3d opbjects (sheetmetal etc.). 

I expect that you need the Simulation Mechanical (old Algor) product if you want something from Autodesk.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 3 of 8
Vish777
in reply to: swalton

Good day,

I am new to Inventor. I have built a simple 2D sketch on Autodesk Inventor Pro 2015. Then I patched it so it looks like a surface and it selects it as a surface as well.

I then go to the enviroment tab to select Stress analysis. I would like to apply a pressure to a curve with BC on the edges. (Simulating a pressure vessel)

However once in the stress analysis tab, it cannot mesh or apply BC to edges. Is 2D axisymmetric stress analysis not possible in Inventor Pro 2015?

If I extrude the sketch, I can then do the analysis but not in 2D?

In a 3D analysis, i see it only meshes as TET elements. How many noded TET element are they? Is there a way of controlling the mesh type (use brick elements instead)

Thanks,

Vish

Message 4 of 8
swalton
in reply to: Vish777

I don't do any 2d simulations, so I may be wrong, but I think you need to model your object in 3d and use the "Find Thin Bodies" and/or the "Midsurface" or "Offset" commands to compress your 3d object into a 2d surface.

See: http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-3512208A-D415-4FD2-B195-F010F1CA2DD0

Once that is done, I think you can apply your boundary conditions as required.

I don't know of any way to control 3d (or 2d) element type in IV Pro Stress analysis.  If you need that level of functionality, you will need to get Sim Mechanical or Nastran from Autodesk or some other dedicated FEA package.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 5 of 8
blair

I haven't done any 2D FEA since the mid to late 1990's and that was on Algor (now Simulation Mechanical). I guess you could still sketch or import a "flat" 2D cad into Simulation Mechanical and do your FEA. Not sure why you would be only interested in 2D unless your machine really lacks horsepower.

Inventor lacks any of the true mesh controls and element controls as well as any surface patch and repair that is available in Sim-Mech. Think of the FEA in Inventor as a base version and not a full blown FEA package that allows for the level of control that you are looking for.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 8
Vish777

Thank you Swalton,

I will give it a try. 

Yeah I've worked on Patran/Nastran before so i'm used to the ability of manipulating the model/mesh/elements as required for an analysis. I actually just started playing around with Inventor and its Analysis mode and trying different models on it.

Thanks,

Vish

Message 7 of 8
Vish777
in reply to: blair

Blair,

I am actually just playing around with the analysis mode on inventor. So did a few 3D simulations and just thought I would simplify some of my models to 2D. With 2D I can actually see the mesh and ensure it is decent. Plus with axisymmetrical models it just makes a bit more sense to do it in 2D for simplification. 

I have worked on Patran/Nastran before and so i'm used to the power they have and was just wondering what the capabilities of Inventor was. Not a fan using TET elements but i'm hoping they are at least TET10 elements.

Thanks,

Vish

Message 8 of 8
Vish777

Hi again,
I tried that approach and it sort of works. problem is a pressure cannot be applied to a curve, only a face. also BC cannot be applied in 2D, it still requires constraint in 3 directions which means the BC isnt as I would like it to be.
Thanks for link!
Vish

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report