Inventor General Discussion

psouza
Message 1 of 3 (239 Views)
Accepted Solution

Stress Analysis

239 Views, 2 Replies
12-18-2012 04:47 AM

Hi,

My name is Pedro, I'm mechanical designer in Brazilian Synchotron Light Lab.

We are projecting a support for one mirror of our Infrared beam line. The support is a block with a rotational weak link which needs to be rotated about +/- 1°. I would like to know a way to insert this angular displacement and get the stress in the weak link area.
I dont have the moment loads and components.

I hope anyone can help me.

Thanks.
Pedro

Hi Pedro,

You can try using the Fixed Constraint.  If you check the vectors checkbox, you can input the prescribed [x,y,z] displacement, but not rotation since the solid elements don't include rotational components.

If you have R2013 or later, and the 'weak link' geometry is considered thin, you can use Shell elements and prescribe rotations as well as displacements in the Fixed constraint command.

Hope this helps..

Best regards, -Hugh

Employee
henderh
Message 2 of 3 (210 Views)

Re: Stress Analysis

12-18-2012 10:52 AM in reply to: psouza

Hi Pedro,

You can try using the Fixed Constraint.  If you check the vectors checkbox, you can input the prescribed [x,y,z] displacement, but not rotation since the solid elements don't include rotational components.

If you have R2013 or later, and the 'weak link' geometry is considered thin, you can use Shell elements and prescribe rotations as well as displacements in the Fixed constraint command.

Hope this helps..

Best regards, -Hugh

Hugh Henderson
Simulation QA Engineer
DLS
psouza
Message 3 of 3 (182 Views)

Re: Stress Analysis

12-19-2012 02:46 AM in reply to: henderh

Hi Hugh,

Thank you very much for the support. 

Best Regards,

Pedro.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.