Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stress Analysis

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Jake_Clark/Alderon
2402 Views, 13 Replies

Stress Analysis

Hello, I am student using Inventor 2010 Stress Analysis and I'm having some problems interpreting the results.

My main concern is making sure that that part doesn't break. And I read somewhere that you look at the safety factor for that?

Also, the displacement is throwing me off. The program is saying 0.004 for a displacement when it looks something like 0.160 (measurement aren't exact).

Any answers or links to other sites would be greatly appreciated!!

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Usually the graphical displacement model shown after the FEA analysis is extremely exaggerated; this is done so that you as the user can easily see what portion of your part or assembly is deflecting -- the values shown give the computed displacements based on your loading conditions.

As for the safety factor, the value indicates approximately how much more the part or assembly could be loaded before failure would occur. Depending on your industry and what might happen should your assembly fail, this value usually ranges from as low as 1.2 up to as high as 10. The higher the value -- the more uncertainty in the model, the material, and the loading or the more disastrous or costly (either in life-or-limb or in actual cost) should it fail.

HTH

Message 3 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: conklinjm

@conklinjm wrote:

... this value usually ranges from as low as 1.2 up to as high as 10. The higher the value -- the more uncertainty in the model...

Wrong.  Need to go back to school.

What book are you using to learn FEA?

Jake, your professor should be covering these topics in class - this is an advanced topic.

Search Amazon.com for Wasim Younis book.

Search http://au.autodesk.com for classes by Younis and others on FEA.

Go through the built in Help>Learning Tools>Tutorials

Be careful to validate any information you are given as well as validating the software FEA results.

Attach you part here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 14

We aren't going to learn stress testing for my degree. Mechanical Drafting and Design, a 2 year heavy CAD based program (I wish we were and i've told the professor we should). But I would like to know how to understand the stress test simulation cause I find if very helpful in finding out the abilities of my part.

I searched that mans name on Amazon and It came up with a few books, the first one being a stress simulation one. Is that all i need to help me understand a portion of it?

Message 5 of 14

@Jake_Clark/Alderon wrote:

Mechanical Drafting and Design, a 2 year heavy CAD based program (I wish we were and i've told the professor we should).

At my school FEA is not taught until the 3rd year - it would not be possible to do in a 2-yr program in a meaningful way in my opinion.

In the earlier Younis books he had both Dynamic Simulation and FEA in the same book.  In later editions (I think starting with Inventor 2012 he split this up into 2 books, one of FEA and one on Dynamic Simulation).

I recommend you get both, although for this problem you only need the FEA.

But go through the built in tutorials for FEA and Dynamic Simulation to see what is involved.

I teach basic FEA in Inventor, Algor (Autodesk Analysis), SolidWorks and Creo (Pro/E Mechanica) in one FEA class.

I teach Dynamic Simulation across two semesters in the Senior year and also use it in two other classes (Senior Projects and Senior Colloquium).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 6 of 14

What institute do you teach at? (you can PM me if you'd like to answer that)

Message 7 of 14

2yr program   http://www.pct.edu/catalog/majors/CD.shtml#catalog_Curriculum  (will see extensive changes Fall 2013)

4yr program   http://www.pct.edu/catalog/majors/BCD.shtml#catalog_Curriculum

http://www.pct.edu/catalog/TransferringCredits.htm

EESignature

Message 8 of 14
JimSteinmeyer
in reply to: JDMather

Jake,

JD is absolutely correct in that ACCURATELY getting results requires more training than is available in a 2 year degree. Especially a drafting and CAD degree. ( I want to come back to this later) Stress evaluation requires more than plugging in some numbers and adding some forces. You need to understand where to place the forces and constraints, you need to have a good grasp on how to make the correct assumptions to generalize the loads to be able to enter them into the system, There are many "if this - then that" relations that you need to be able to predict to ensure you have all the forces. This is the conundrum with the plethora of FEA packages becoming easier to use in the CAD systems. It is now eiser than ever to enter some numbers and get "Pretty Pictures" that everyone can see. And if the pretty pictures look like you want (blue =good, red= bad) everyone will trust them and run with it. After all "The computer said it was good". However people are forgeting the old computer wisdom GI GO...garbage in garbage out.

You seem inclined to want to go the extra step to ensure your work is right. If so I would suggest you follow JD's advice and pick up the suggested books. I suspect you will be wanting to use the simulation packages in the future and these texts will more than pay for themselves in making your work reliable if used.

Now about the 2 year degree. I have a lot of respect for people who have them, in fact I have worked with many who after several years in the field deserve to be called engineers however I would strongly reccomend you get a 4 year degree. As one of my professors told one of my classmates who was going to change from the 4 to the 2 year degree, "You will make $15-$20,000 a year less and 95% of the time you will be doing the same work as the degreed engineer. The other 5% of the time he will know what book to find the information in."

Knowing where JD teaches and seeing the help he is able to provide would give me an idea which pprogram to attempt to get into as well. I wish I had had a professor who used something beyond hand calks and a DOS program to teach FEA. of course, doing those calcs on a stone tablet was a llittle difficult.

A little advice worth about as much as it cost you.

Thank you

Jim

Inventor Premium 2013 SP1.1
Vault 2013- plain vanilla version
HP G71 notebook
celeron cpu w\ 4gb RAM and 64 bit system
Win 7 home premium

Ya, my boss has me running my personal machine at work.
Message 9 of 14

Thanks Jim! I'm receiving one of the books today in the mail so I'll be looking into that book for sure. Is there any other books that are good? And I would go for a 4 year degree, and I was at ERAU, but it looks like JD's program would take most of my credits from my 2 year degree and I'm not sure I am able to do the 4 year degree at this time. It would be nice to.

Do you know of any online classes that could be available for me for this kind of thing?

Message 10 of 14

Jake,

Right now I have no idea what else is available out there. JD is far more involved with this type of thing than I am. After seeing the assistance he gives here I would give his program the priority.

As far as not being able to do 4 years now, you never know what you can do until pushed. I had a wife, 4 young kids, had just gone bankrupt on my farm, and hadn't done math beyond arithmatic in 12 years when I started Engineering school.

Jim

HP G71 notebook
Win 7 home premium

Message 11 of 14

Wow, congratulations on getting the engineering degree with that much on your shoulders.

Message 12 of 14

Do what you can when you can.

Took me 4 yrs to get an AAS while working full time.

Started on BS at age 27 - didn't finish till age 35.  Worked full time most of those 8 yrs.

Did finish the MS in 1 yr.

Took me another 10 yrs to go the rest of the way.

EESignature

Message 13 of 14

Holy cow.....that's a long time. But at least you made the commitment and finished it all. That in itself is an achievement! Gives that diploma hanging in the office that much more meaning.

Message 14 of 14

It also shows he has real world experance instead of just book knowledge. One more reason to look at his program.

If you have that kind of determination to stick to a goal that is great. I just know that too many of us get complacent and comfortable half way through and never finish.

Jim

HP G71 notebook
Win 7 home premium

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report