Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stress analysis on wood material

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Ehsancad
3304 Views, 6 Replies

Stress analysis on wood material

Hello
My name is Ehsan,
I am working as Application Engineer in Egypt.
Some Customers asking if Autodesk Invenor Pro. 2010 can apply stress analysis using FEA on Wood materials.
I can add new material by style editor, but the problem is Wood is orthotropic material, which means the mechanical properties change in the three directions (Longitudinal , Radial & Tangential).
How can we solve this problem in Inventor ?
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
henderh
in reply to: Ehsancad

Hi Ehsan,

Unfortunately, R2010 Stress Analysis (and previous versions) can only use isotropic materials. In our material library, we have Young's Modulus and Poisson's ratio with magnitude only, not components.

I've logged wish list item 1247832 in hopes to address this in a future release of AIP.

Currently, Autodesk Algor can handle this type of simulation.

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Please let us know if you have any additional questions, comments or suggestions.

Best regards,

Hugh Henderson (Autodesk)
Inventor Simulation SQA Engineer

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)
Message 3 of 7
Ehsancad

Thank you very much,but...
what is "wish list item 1247832 "??
Message 4 of 7
henderh

Hi Ehsan,

Wish lists are logged into our tracking system, and they are given a ID number.

If Inventor doesn't have a feature or functionality that a user would like to have, we can request this as a wishlist item to consider adding in a future release of Inventor.

Thanks, -Hugh

Hugh Henderson
Message 5 of 7
scottmoyse

There is a fairly large wood industry out there, and since wood is regarded as a sustainable material, it is being used more and more frequently as a building and engineering material. Going back to our roots i suppose, people will have to relearn how to use timber in the correct ways etc.. and use with more modern methods too. Considering Autodesk is on a sustainable future crusade (which is great) i think it would be a great idea for you guys to implement some timber product specific accelerators and features within inventor (much like you have with the plastic features), Topsolid have a wood module which right off the bat was a seriously productive add on for those using timber based products.

Not to mention it would come in handy for us. Since we design and manufacture super yacht and luxury interiors and inventor plays a major role in our company, having the ability to mix and match all forms of materials in our design and gain productivity from design accelerators in all of those areas would be truly stunning and turn Inventor into a gigacad package.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 6 of 7
Ehsancad

Thanks guys,
we asked many People about this issue (Applying FEA on wood material),we can solve this by using Autodesk Algor,or using Autodesk Robot Structure 2010 for this problem......

I think Autodesk Algor accept the Mechanical properties of materials like Autodesk Inventor (Young's modulus,Poisson's ratio,Ultimate strength,etc)...which version of Algor can do this?!!! and how??

and finally,Can Autodesk Robot Structure 2010 do this???!!!!!!!!
Message 7 of 7
henderh

Hi Ehsan,

The attached doc is taken from an Autodesk discussion where Robert Sinfort detailed Inventor Frame Generator + Robobat + Autodesk Expert. I hope you may find it useful. We can utilize Eurocode5 materials definition (for instance)

Best regards, -Hugh

Hugh Henderson

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report