Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stress analysis on derived part: no contacts on referece body warning message

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
1141 Views, 10 Replies

Stress analysis on derived part: no contacts on referece body warning message

I am running a stress analysis on a derived part.  I created the part using another part file and used the option to maintain each solid as a solid body.  After referencing the geometry I needed, I turned off the visibility of the source part.  Now when I try to run a stress analysis on the derived part, I get a warning saying that there is no contacts attached to the body of the of reference part.  That body is not supposed to be included in the simulation.  As far as I can tell, Inventor is not performing an FEA on the referecene part, but I cannot be sure.  Does anyone know if Inventor is actually including the reference body of my derived part in the simulation?  If it is, what is the best method to make it so that it is not included in the simulation?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
blair
in reply to: Anonymous

I've never run into this, create a new IPT or IAM, derive to a IPT, open the derived IPT and run FEA on it and get an error referencing the Parent. Make sure that you are current on all SP's and Updates for your product.

Use the "Close All Files" within Inventor and then open the derived IPT and try the FEA again.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 11
ccamara01

Turning off visibility of parts will not exclude them from the simulation.  You need to "Exclude from Simulation" the parts in the stress analysis environment.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Inventor Professional 2015 SP2
Windows 8.1 Pro Workstation
2 x Intel Xeon E5-2687W v3 (10 core, 3.1 GHz)
NVIDIA Quadro K4200 (4 GB)
64 GB 2133 MHz DDR4 RDIMM ECC
512 GB SSD
2 TB HDD
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: ccamara01

I am aware that it is necessary to use the "exclude from simulation command" to exclude parts from a simulation.  However you cannot use that option on individual bodies of a multi-body part.

Message 5 of 11
ccamara01

Your initial post is slightly confusing then:

"After referencing the geometry I needed, I turned off the visibility of the source part."

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Inventor Professional 2015 SP2
Windows 8.1 Pro Workstation
2 x Intel Xeon E5-2687W v3 (10 core, 3.1 GHz)
NVIDIA Quadro K4200 (4 GB)
64 GB 2133 MHz DDR4 RDIMM ECC
512 GB SSD
2 TB HDD
Message 6 of 11
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

...  However you cannot use that option on individual bodies of a multi-body part.

Then use Derived Components to isolate each of your solid bodies for analysis.

Attach file(s) here if you can't figure it out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Not sure what you are saying.  I have attached my two parts.  The column bracket is derived from Part36.  The issue is Inventor is giving me a warning that there no contacts attached to the reference (Part36) body, which makes me think it is included in the simulation.  However I just looked at the mesh view and Inventor does not appear to be generating a mesh for the reference body.  So I would guess it is not actually being included in the simulation.

Message 8 of 11
JDMather

Your logic doesn't make sense to me?

You have one solid body derived into a second solid body.

If you want to do the analysis as an assembly - then use an assembly file.

If you want to do the analysis of both as one body - then Combine.

If you want to do analysis of one or the other  - then do it on separate files before any derive.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 9 of 11
blair

After downloading and looking at your files I am having a really tough time following your methodology for your model. You have a load on one side of the plate with contraints on the other side.

Is this really a single part or are you trying to model an assembly.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: blair

You can ignore the loading and constraints in the part.  I only put those there to see if it would produce the same warning message again.  The analysis I am performing is on assembly which I did not include because it is not part of the issue.  My concern is whether or not Solid body 1 (which was derived from Part36)  in the bracket part file is affecting the FEA.  As I mentioned before, I do not believe it is, and so the warning message that there are no contacts attached to Solid body 1 is meaningless.

Message 11 of 11
blair

Did you compare your results with and without the lower part. Not really sure since you constrain the lower face of the plate and have a load/force applied on the opposite face.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report