Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stress analysis- odd results

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Rytcd
464 Views, 6 Replies

Stress analysis- odd results

Hi there, So I am trying to get stress analysis to work for me, but I keep getting very odd results. for instance, the attached part should hold something like 1000lbs, yet is reading much, much lower. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: Rytcd

I do not see an attached file.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
raviburla

Hi,

Could you please post the model? From what I understand in your post, I would guess that you are running into "Stress Singularity". Please probe the results away from loads and constraints ( Saint-Venant's principle) and check if the results are in accordance to your expectations.

Thanks,
Ravi Burla

Ravi Burla
Sr. Principal Research Engineer
Message 4 of 7
Rytcd
in reply to: raviburla

Odd, I'll try again.

Message 5 of 7
DRLTKSE

I think your physical material properties are wrong. 

Try the ones I've used here, or feel free to look them up yourself. 

Capture.PNG

Message 6 of 7
raviburla

Hi,

Thanks for posting the model. I think there are couple of things that need to be considered for this model.

1. The fixed constraint creates a stress singularity.

2. The applied force was not along the X-direction (perhaps this is in accordance to your design). But, based on the UX for force load - as soon as one clicks a point on a surface, the surface normal is computed at the pick point and load is decomposed to XYZ components. This likely what happened in this model.

I ran few experiments with the model.

1. Run the model as is, but increase mesh density. This shows stress concentrations and safety factor is very low as shown below.

Model1.png

2. Modify the force load to be along the X direction and recompute the solution. This time the results are little better because the bending component was eliminated and hence lower stresses.

Model2.png

3. Remove the constraint and apply a balancing force on the constrained face. Also, use the "eliminate rigid body option".

Model3.png

I would think that that the results from (3) above correspond to the reality (as we tried to eliminate artifical stress concentrations.). Please let us know if you have more questions.

Thanks,

Ravi Burla

Ravi Burla
Sr. Principal Research Engineer
Message 7 of 7
Rytcd
in reply to: raviburla

Helped a ton, Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report