91 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 1 of 5
Accepted Solution

Stress analysis - deflection of a steel block

406 Views, 4 Replies
11-19-2012 03:21 AM

HI

Is it possible to calculate the deflection a steel block will get, just form it one weight

Just use standard steel material, it is only supported at the end.

Regards

Henrik

Yes, it is possible. I assume you want to place the Weight positioned along the bar at a set distance.

You can do this by splitting the face with either a circle or rectangle and placing your force there.

I have attached an example. Hopefully I have understood your question.

Jon.

The Gravity Vector is just that, the direction/vector that gravity will affect the model in question. It doesn't matter which object/edge you select. If an edge is not in the correct direction, you can expand the box and enter a vector using the XZY boxes.

You need to create a sketch on the desired surface and then create a closed loop then exit the sketch. Select the Split Tool command, then the sketch (closed profile) and finally the surface in question.

If you wish to apply a load to a given spot/area on a surface, you would be required to use the Split Surface to create a separate surface in which to apply either the force/load or support constrain. Otherwise Inventor will apply the load/constrain to the whole surface face.

Product Support
281 Posts
14 Kudos
Post 2 of 5

Re: Stress analysis - deflection of a steel block

11-23-2012 07:11 AM in reply to: hlo

Yes, it is possible. I assume you want to place the Weight positioned along the bar at a set distance.

You can do this by splitting the face with either a circle or rectangle and placing your force there.

I have attached an example. Hopefully I have understood your question.

Jon.

Jon Dean

*Expert Elite*
4,620 Posts
773 Kudos
Post 3 of 5

11-23-2012 11:58 AM in reply to: jon.dean

Remember to add the directionof gravity to your analysis (if applicable).

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IV2015 SP1-ud2 PDSU / Sim Mech 2015 r1 /
Win7-64
EVGA X79 - Classified, iCore7 3930k 32Gb Quad-Channel
950Gb (2 x 500Gb Sata III SSD RAID0 Adaptec 6805E Controller)
Nvidia GTX-980 Classified - 347.09
SpacePilot Pro 10.2.0 / 17.2.0.11011 / 4.17
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ
Valued Contributor
91 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 4 of 5

11-25-2012 12:06 AM in reply to: blair

HI

Hi

Thank for reply, i do understand the estimated setup and way to get a bending result

The gravity vector where shout it be placed in this example

Another question regarding the use of split tool, what dose I do to the surface, is it only

marking a round spot and not removing  anything.

Regards

Henrik

*Expert Elite*
4,620 Posts
773 Kudos
Post 5 of 5

11-25-2012 10:47 AM in reply to: hlo

The Gravity Vector is just that, the direction/vector that gravity will affect the model in question. It doesn't matter which object/edge you select. If an edge is not in the correct direction, you can expand the box and enter a vector using the XZY boxes.

You need to create a sketch on the desired surface and then create a closed loop then exit the sketch. Select the Split Tool command, then the sketch (closed profile) and finally the surface in question.

If you wish to apply a load to a given spot/area on a surface, you would be required to use the Split Surface to create a separate surface in which to apply either the force/load or support constrain. Otherwise Inventor will apply the load/constrain to the whole surface face.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IV2015 SP1-ud2 PDSU / Sim Mech 2015 r1 /
Win7-64
EVGA X79 - Classified, iCore7 3930k 32Gb Quad-Channel
950Gb (2 x 500Gb Sata III SSD RAID0 Adaptec 6805E Controller)
Nvidia GTX-980 Classified - 347.09
SpacePilot Pro 10.2.0 / 17.2.0.11011 / 4.17
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post