Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stress analysis and temperature input

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
methoni
1174 Views, 2 Replies

Stress analysis and temperature input

Having recently modeled a pressure vessel part, the next phase was to determine the thickness was adequate for the pressure and temperature.

Adding the pressure to the part is straight forward, however when one comes to the input of the temperature this seems to be a problem ,the question being is there any facility in inventor for temp. input.

We know that as temperature rises the yield strength of the metal decreases.  I assume that inventor bases the temperature/yield strength of the steel at room level.

At present using other available  software i can determine the reduction in yield strength ,this figure i can then use for a custom material

each time altering if need be the yield strength relative to the diffent temperatures.This does seem to be a long winded method,is there temperature input in analysis or not?

Regards

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
admaiora
in reply to: methoni

Hi Methoni,

no there is not, for now.

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 3 of 3
Vish777
in reply to: admaiora

Hi,

In a case of a pressure vessel operating at a high temperature. So then stresses on the model would be due to internal pressure as well as stresses at BC due to thermal expansion with a decrease in yield strength taken into account.

In order to accomplish this I would then have to apply the pressure, find the equivalent material properties at the elevated temperature and use that as input in order to analyze the model?

As it is at higher temperature there would be expansion. Will inventor take this into account or will I have to determine the thermal expansion and then input it as a displacement BC.

Does this approach make sense and would it be a fair "Design by Analysis" method as the various codes require. Or is it safer to use dedicated FEM packages?

Thanks,

Vish

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report