Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Corner Seam behaviour

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Robert_Benjamins
769 Views, 5 Replies

Strange Corner Seam behaviour

Hello,

After doing the last corner seam, there is a deformation in the opposite corner.

It is also in the flat pattern.

To my opinion it shouldn’t be there.

Can anyone explain this behaviour?

Kind regards,

Robert Benjamins

Inventor 2024
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rdyson
in reply to: Robert_Benjamins

Edit:

Except now the flat pattern is wrong!

Capture.PNG

Looks like a bug to me.

A workaround is to add a cut in the edge, create the corner seam, then add back the removed bit.

Capture.PNG

PDSU 2016
Message 3 of 6
blair
in reply to: Robert_Benjamins

What is the purpose of Extrusion2 and Extrusion3? Not sure why it's causing a problem. Wouldn't it be easier just to edit the length of our Contour Feature and disband with these two Features.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 6
rdyson
in reply to: rdyson

After another look, changing the corner relief shape to anything other than tear solves the flat pattern problem. But the weird corner "bump" still occurs.

PDSU 2016
Message 5 of 6

@ rdyson:

I solved the ‘bump’ by making a cut at the corner. The part looks okay and the flat pattern is okay now.

@ blair:

I don’t know why Extrusion 2 and 3 are made. In Vault, I can see that several parts are derived from this part. It looks like a ‘quick & dirty’ way of modifying the part. 😉

The modification I made was the small 90° flange at the top and the corner seams. After making the flat pattern, I noticed the ‘bump’.

I made a test-part from scratch, and in the new part the bump also appears. So it seems to be a little ‘bug’ in the corner seam-command.

Kind regards,

Robert Benjamins

Inventor 2024
Message 6 of 6

This is working as designed. The strange bump you mentioned is the bend transition. You can change the bend transition to ‘trim to bend’ to make it disappear.  Edit Corner 4, go to the Bend tab, change the bend transition to ‘trim to bend’, press OK.

Daniela Koloszko

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report