Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.stp files units wrong

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
LonesomeJoe
1533 Views, 3 Replies

.stp files units wrong

I'm running Inventor R2010 SP0, and I'm trying to import a .stp file, but it's apparently either using the wrong template or not using the material and units from my template.  I've got the units set to lbs/mass, and the material to ASTMA36(custom mat'l) in my standard.ipt template.  When the parts from the .stp file come in, the units are kg/mass, and the material is "default".  Anyone know what I have to do to get it to use my template, or does it always use these units and material?  Thanx.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
rdyson
in reply to: LonesomeJoe

Units are set by the exporting software and step does not have any material information, so far as I'm aware.

When you import to IV you should have the option to adjust units.

Below is IV 2012, don't think it's change from 2010.

stp.jpg

PDSU 2016
Message 3 of 4
LonesomeJoe
in reply to: rdyson

Still not working... I'm trying to import a .stp exported from SolidWorks (maybe that's the problem... I don't think those two packages can get along on ANYTHING...), and I've got all the units set in SW to lbs, inches, and cu.in., the material is A36 and the unit mass is set to the correct value.  My "options" box is set to "source units", but it still comes in at kg/mass and "default' material.  I did manage to get SW to give me the weight of my assembly, which was really all I was after... I'm just concerned that I can't get the .stp file to import to IV with the correct settings.  I'm sure you are correct that the .stp translation does not have any "material" properties, and I think IV is using it's default template in "Program Files" as a template to make the .ipt files.  In any case, for the time being, I've got what I needed....  Not much is as confusing as bouncing back and forth between SolidWorks and Inventor!!  The the two packages do very much the same things, but they "steer" enough differently that I'm always clicking the wrong things!!  Thanx for your help on this.

Message 4 of 4
rdyson
in reply to: LonesomeJoe

IF your problem is only the unit of mass, just change the units in doc settings

I assumed the model was importing sized incorrectly

You will have to assign materials after import

PDSU 2016

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report