Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop selecting construction geometry first?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
QuasiMojo
417 Views, 6 Replies

Stop selecting construction geometry first?

Sorry if it's been answered but I couldn't find it:  is there any way to give selection priority to real geometry instead of construction geometry?  Every time I go to dimension or constrain IV wants to to pick the construction geometry first.  I would like very much to change that.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
cbenner
in reply to: QuasiMojo

More information needed, please.  First, what version of Inventor?  Next, what exactly are you trying to do?  Are you in a a part, assembly or drawing?  Can you post a screen shot of what you are doing, and what you are experiencing?

Message 3 of 7
jbennett_pc
in reply to: cbenner

I believe what he is talking about is inside a sketch and you have basic geometry on top of construction geometry, Inventor sometimes favors the construction geometry on mouseover when you would prefer it favoring the actual geometry.  This sometimes gets me as well.  Since the best way for me is to let the contextual dropdown appear after the hover delay, I've reduced the delay to 1 second (I think the default is 3 seconds).  I haven't seen an option myself to have the basic geometry be favored.

Message 4 of 7
cwhetten
in reply to: QuasiMojo

I hear you.  This really bothers me, and I have to deal with it a lot since I prefer to project the origin axes (rather than the origin point) and I set them to construction.

I think this is a great idea for the IdeaStation.  Here is a link for it.

If you create a thread about it there, post back here with a link, and I will give it my kudo.

(By the way, this post created at 9:10 on 11/12/13) Smiley Happy

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 5 of 7
jbennett_pc
in reply to: cwhetten

It is a good suggest and I did throw it up into the IdeaStation.  Here is the link.

Message 7 of 7
QuasiMojo
in reply to: jbennett_pc

Yes, that was exactly what I was talking about.  Sorry for the lack of details.  I cannot understand why priority would be given to construction geometry for things like dimensions or closing the loop in particular.  Changing the hover time just makes it so the drop-down selector is always in your view...which I don't like much either, especially because it is extremely vague when there are many possibly selections about: curve, curve, curve, curve, point, point, point...made.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report