Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STL export

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
ozitag
1311 Views, 5 Replies

STL export

Hi,

I have a multibody part. The last command is a combine the toolbodies saved. (we want to use these in other parts) I have RMB on the bodies that I don't want exported and made sure they are not selected for export. But when I then export as an STL file, all the bodies are exported. Is there a way of exporting  just one of the bodies to an STL file? I assume the Export object mentioned when RMB the bodies is for exporting to derived parts.

I'm trying to export just one body so that we can 3D print it, but because all the bodies are exported the resulting file has overlapping bodies, which the printer doesn't like.

So, again, Is there a way of exporting  just one of the bodies to an STL file?

Thanks,

Ozitag

PS, Yes I'm still on 2010. We have been told we wil be upgrading soon. How long is soon?

IV 2010
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
KevinLi-Autodesk
in reply to: ozitag

Hi ozitag,

Thanks for your reporting !!!

Please try below workaround to see if it is works for you.

Go to Ribbon > Manage tab > Layout panel > click Make Components button to invoke its dialog box > select all the bodies > Next > OK, then you will see your multiple bodies is converted to inventor assembly. Then you can open the instance you want to export in a new document then export it to STL format.

Another information if your model is assembly, you can directly export it to STL format, hit Options button to launch STL File Save As Options dialog box, there is a Structure dropdown list, click it and select "One File per Part Instance", (see attached image)  then all the instances can be exported to STL as individual STL file at one time. This function is available in Inventor 2011.

Regards,

Kevin Li

Quality Assurance Team

Autodesk, Inc.

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Design, Lifecycle and Simulation Product Group
Direct: +86 21 2039 6025
Email: Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com
Autodesk, Inc.
NO. 130, Lane 91, E Shan Rd
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 3 of 6
ozitag
in reply to: KevinLi-Autodesk

Thanks for your reply Kevin.

Another work around is to just make the part that I want to export, then export it without saving the ipt. It works, but isn't as easy as just exporting.

Regards,

Ozitag

IV 2010
Message 4 of 6
KevinLi-Autodesk

Thanks ozitag, if you meet any other Inventor data translation issues please contact me via email Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com , I or my team will take a look at it for you.

Have a nice day !!!

Regards,

Kevin Li

Quality Assurance Team

Autodesk, Inc.

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Design, Lifecycle and Simulation Product Group
Direct: +86 21 2039 6025
Email: Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com
Autodesk, Inc.
NO. 130, Lane 91, E Shan Rd
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 5 of 6
DeerSpotter

or you could always select all bodies and and add to construction. Then delete the bodies. Then go to construction right click the right one and select "copy part" and select part and okay.

delete the construction data and now you have a merged part.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
..........................................................................................................................
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
..........................................................................................................................

See My LinkedIn Profile
Message 6 of 6
ozitag
in reply to: DeerSpotter

I think the quickest, with the least amount of clicks and without affecting the original file is to make part, select that body, and export to stl. Then close the new ipt that was created without saving it. It is just a little more processing that just exporting the stl directly.

Thanks for your suggestion though.

Ozitag

IV 2010

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report