Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Step translation issues

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
drspringer
783 Views, 3 Replies

Step translation issues

I am trying to export step files from Inventor 2012 into Surfcam. Any files that were created in Inventor translate over as solids. Files that I have imported from step files, recognized features, modified and exported again come into Surfcam as Nurb surfaces. I also tried using Inventor 2013 with the same results.

I've never experienced this problem with earlier versions of Inventor. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

I have attached one of the files that is giving me trouble.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: drspringer

@drspringer wrote:

... Any files that were created in Inventor translate over as solids.

... Files that I have imported .....exported again come into Surfcam as Nurb surfaces

Just to make sure -

Your problem is you want the exported files to open in Surfcam as solids?
Are you running Quality Check on the initial import before running Feature Recognition (I never accept the prompt to run FR, I always open the file first and then run FR)?
What Options are you setting on the export?

Edit: I see from the Translation Report that you are running Quality Check.  When  do you run FR. 

Can you attach the original STEP file for this part here?

What happens if you Suppress the Thread feature before export (it won't be translated anyhow)?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 4
drspringer
in reply to: JDMather

That is the problem, yes.

I do the feature fecognition the same way. Import first and then FR.

I tried supressing the thread feature but it made no difference. I also tried every option (all three) for the step translation with the same results.

The original step file is attached. It is the simplest of the files that I am trying to translate.

Message 4 of 4
drspringer
in reply to: drspringer

Call off the dogs, as I expected, it was a surfcam user issue. No matter how many times I asked if the files were being imported correctly I was told it was my problem. Sure enough, I got a call this morning from my customer, he found a checkbox on the import page to import solids. (Insert forehead slap here!)

Thanks for looking, sorry for the trouble.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report