Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STEP surface to solid help!

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
Zoltan78
1852 Views, 18 Replies

STEP surface to solid help!

Dear Mates!

I have THIS 50MB of crap. I'd like to convert it to something more usable solid. I only need its outer shape. I've tried derive but there's nothing in the list to derive. Trying to patch, sculpt or any else will result Inventor to crash. Please help!

I use Inventor 2011 so I'd need V2011 ipt or STP / SAT.

Thanks in advance!

Zoltan

Software: Product Design & Manufacturing Collection
CPU: Core i5-8600K
RAM: 2*8Gb
VGA: GTX 3070
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
mdavis22569
in reply to: Zoltan78

few ways ...try Stitch, Thicken off/Set, Sculpt ... here is a video too to kind of show you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbMY2NFb6i0

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 19
Cadmanto

Zoltan,

Where did you get this file?  Any chance you can get the file in a different format that gives you a better start?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 19
mdavis22569
in reply to: Cadmanto

it's a big surface file ..got it open in both Autocad and Inventor. Trying to stitch it now. If this was make in 3d from Inventor from the start I think this would have been easier. I'm curious if this came from a customer and the initial translation was done as a surface instead of a solid .. Mike

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 5 of 19
Zoltan78
in reply to: Cadmanto

It was given by our customer. I have Pro/E, IGES, Parasolid and SolidWorks versions of this device, but I couldn't even open half of them, the rest is just the same as this STEP just their filesize changes. For example, IGES version is 70MB but still contains 2890 surfaces.

michaeldavis: I don't know if they made any translations. I've tried to stitch but ended in a meaningless result.

Anyway, thanks for trying help both of you.

BTW I've updated my rig. Even this machine has difficulties with this mess and I have a few more device so I don't even know what to do. Communicating with our customer is not a problem, but first of all, I have to know if I can handle these files or not. I thought my knowledge is low, but it seems these files are really useless.

Zoltan

Message 6 of 19
mdavis22569

What happens if you try and open the solidworks file in Inventor? Does it still come in as a surface? Is it possible to go back to the customer and get a sat or stp version and not an iges.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 7 of 19
JDMather

@Zoltan78 wrote:

...I have Pro/E,  and SolidWorks versions of this device...

Are either of these native files?

Zip and attach here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 8 of 19
WHolzwarth

You can get some solids back from this Step, but this is a time-consuming task. I took a closer look and saw many missing faces. Well, there are tricks to re-create them, but that's no matter of only a few minutes. Each and every face set needs to be looked at separately.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 9 of 19
Zoltan78
in reply to: mdavis22569

SolidWorks - same surface horror

IGES - Inventor crashes

Parasolid - seems forever to be opened, so I cancelled (had to kill Inventor's task)

Pro/E - error in htm format: Translation failed. Invalid File Type. I guess the file is a newer version.

Anyway, I've uploaded all format that I have HERE. Hovewer, bothering you or someone else with every single file is not an option in the long run, so I have contacted with our customer.

UPDATE: got response from our customer: these files are directly from the manufacturer. I'm wondering.

JDMather: I can't determine if they are native files or not, so it's up to you 🙂

wh: yeah, I could fix them if I had all the time in the world. I have drawings & data sheets, too, so re-drawing them in Inventor would be less waste of time.

Zoltan

Message 10 of 19
mdavis22569

I do see you're using IV2011 ... there have been MANY upgrades to the translation options in Inventor since then. So this is going to be an issue too with all of these files..

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 11 of 19
Zoltan78

My Inventor is quite up to date, but I guess it doesn't help. I'll give a shot to Inventor 2014 Trial.

Zoltan

Message 12 of 19
mdavis22569

I think most of us who have opened it used 2014 ... it's still going to be a back model. Just easier and quicker in IV14 vs 11. I still think your best options are to try and get a .sat or .stp from the customer.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 13 of 19
Zoltan78

I bet, Inventor 2015 will be out soon, so there's no reason to purchase (upgrade to) version 2014 even if my company wanted to. Even much if V2014 still can't do anything with these files.

Zoltan

Message 14 of 19
JDMather

@Zoltan78 wrote:

JDMather: I can't determine if they are native files or not, so it's up to you 🙂

I will not go to a third party file sharing site to download.

Zip and attach the *.sldprt file here or at Autodesk360.

The source should be able to tell you what software the geometry was modeled in.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 15 of 19
JDMather

@Zoltan78 wrote:

I bet, Inventor 2015 will be out soon, .....V2014 still can't do anything with these files.

I doubt there will be an Easy Button in 2015 that magically conjures up missing geometry.

Message 16 of 19
WHolzwarth

I've opened the x_t version with 2014. It took some time, but in the end I got an IAM with 2902 surface members. I've looked at the first member and found only some faces, not enough for a solid.

😉 But there are some tricks available for getting the solid back. See sample.

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 17 of 19
WHolzwarth
in reply to: WHolzwarth

I've looked deeper into the import. It's always the same: Multibody SLDPRTs have lots of tiny faces missing, and naturally that's the same with files, that have been exported from this basic file.

I've brought some parts back to solid life again, but it's time-consuming. See attachments.

Zoltan, go to your customer, ask them to open the SLDASM of this machine, and derive a STEP or Parasolid (better IMO) from that SLDASM. After that, you shouldn't have to struggle with missing faces furthermore.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 18 of 19
Zoltan78
in reply to: WHolzwarth

Thank you for your efforts. I'll try to get a proper model.

JDMather: I've tried to upload here but it says: "The contents of the attachment doesn't match its file type.". And that's why I don't use that rudimentary, ridiculous, progress-indicator-free trash instead of trustful 3rd party up-to-date file sharing services.

Zoltan

Message 19 of 19
Cadmanto

Zoltan,

If it helps I have access to Solidworks 2011 and Inventor 2014.  I can try looking at this file and see if I see anything.

Would you be able to email it to me?  Or have you uploaded it to Autodesk 360?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report