Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Step file into ipt

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
bcrowell
4095 Views, 1 Reply

Step file into ipt

The simple question is… how can we insert a step (stp) part into an existing part file? 

The story behind the question is this:

Normally when we get a step file assembly from a customer, if the part has changed, we put our part into Old Versions and save their new step file as our ipt number and replace it in our assembly file.  With Vault, in order for us to maintain the history of the part files, we need to keep the original file so we can’t just delete it or replace it, so now we need to figure out how to get a step file into an ipt.  The Import command on the Manage tab (with 2013 at least?) does not allow import of stp files just yet.

The only other option I can think of is to put the original part into an assembly with the step file, create a copy of the step information in the part file and use it to recreate the new (step based) part.

INV Professional 2017 (Build: 142, Release: 2017RTM), Windows 10 Professional (64-bit), Intel Xeon E5-1620 3.5GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200, Vault Basic 2017
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
JDMather
in reply to: bcrowell

Interesting that Inventor allows you to Import about everything Except STEP.

I think I would either

Open the step and save as an Inventor file and then Derive Component into the original

or

Open the step and save copy as one of the file types that will import directly back into the original.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report