Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Step-by-Step updating to diagnose crashes?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
ad64
199 Views, 2 Replies

Step-by-Step updating to diagnose crashes?

Is there any way to step through the Inventor Document Update process in order to diagnose crashes or 'hangups'?

Inventor 2014 hangs up and crashes often for us in a variety of models due to what seems to be a problem with how Inventor updates parts with multiple levels of derivation. The use of blocks may also play a factor in this.

Our models are structured like this:

1. Profiles .ipt : Individual ipt files each containing a profile block used in many places. All sketch blocks are fully constrained following best practices.

2. Master Sketch .ipt : Ten to twenty ".ipt profile blocks" are derived into a master sketch file and used to create a skeleton sketch.

3. Subassemblies .ipt : This master sketch file is derived into numerous multi-body solid parts which will each form a different sub-assembly.

The problem seems to be between level 3 and level 2. If you open the Master Sketch, it is completely up to date. When you open one of the multi-body solids, it will show that the derivation from the master sketch needs updating, but when you update it, Inventor hangs indefinitely, even though the update bar often keeps moving for hours.

These are not complex assemblies. There are perhaps 20 profiles derived into each Master Sketch and only one Master Sketch derived into any given Multi-body solid. With a lot of trial and error you can sometimes figure out where the problem lies, but if there was a way to step through the update process for the Master Sketch manually or using iLogic, then we could better diagnose where the problem lies and see if we can fix that component so that the document will update. Currently we sometimes end up rebuilding a multi-body  solid because we can't get it to work any other way. 

Any ideas for diagnosis are welcome.

Steve

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
johnsonshiue
in reply to: ad64

Hi! The behavior you are seeing certainly is not normal. Have you submitted crash reports? Could you send me an email (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com) so I can take a look at the reports?

It seems that you have already identified a dataset reproducing the crash, could you also send it to me? If it is larger than 20MB, I can set up a secure account for you to upload.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 3
ad64
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Most of the time there is no crash report to send because Inventor just hangs up indefinitely and we have to terminate it from Process Explorer. I've sent you a sample Pack-and-Go dataset.

Steve

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report