Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Steel, Galvanzied appearance is not galvanized...

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
jyager
2393 Views, 2 Replies

Steel, Galvanzied appearance is not galvanized...

Inv '14...when I create a SM part, with the material as "Steel, Galvanized" the default appearance is "Galvanized"...this is just a flat gray color. However, I can go into appearances and change it from it's default "Galvanized" to "Steel Galvanized"...and then it looks correct.

Am I missing something here?

Jason Yager
Inventor Professional 2023.2
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900X CPU @ 3.70GHz
32GB RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 3200 Series
3D Connexion SpaceMouse Pro
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
erazorzedge
in reply to: jyager

I'm new to Inventor, but I think that the "Steel, Galvanized" Material is for actual hot-dip galvanized steel. If you do a rendered picture of the model, the details of the "Galvanized" Appearance pop out.

I also think the "Steel, Galvanized" Appearance is supposed to mimic actual sheet steel or electro-plated steel. Although, it tends to look more chrome-like in a rendered picture.

I wish there were more "sub-categories" of materials (and their corresponding appearances) by default. It sure would be nice to say "I'm building a cart with a box tubing frame made of Aluminum 6061-T6 and the sheet metal parts are made from Aluminum 5052-H32..." and then just select the corresponding material. Granted, I know there are a lot of materials out there and metal isn't the only one, but a nice user-maintained open-source central material database would be a nice touch.

Product Design Suite 2017 x64
Windows 10 (Build 1511) Professional x64
Message 3 of 3
4donwan4
in reply to: jyager

You have the ability to modify and create templates, material files, and design data information as you desire. Why we have certain things set as default is not something I can really comment on, those default settings are just for generalization. I would just make those changes within the materials file will create a specific one for your needs.

Regards,

Don

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report