Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steel Class Question

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
lctilley
1033 Views, 3 Replies

Steel Class Question

We use several different classes of steel such as A572-65 or A572-50 etc. Does anyone know if there is a way to add those values in Inventor 2014 without having to reinvent the wheel?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
chad38
in reply to: lctilley

I do it within a custom iProperty.

Name = TYPE    

Value = A569(example)

Type = Text

HP Z420 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1603 0 @ 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
12.0 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Inventor Professional 2015
Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 3 of 4
lctilley
in reply to: chad38

Thanks Chad. I appreciate it. I have no clue so that gives me a point to start with. If I find anything else out about it I will post it.

Message 4 of 4
lctilley
in reply to: lctilley

First let me apologize for not calling my problem by the correct name. It was not "class", it was "grade". Anyway I solved our problem for our Grades or Steel. Here's what I did.

I went into the Material Browser in the quick access toolbar, found the Steel ASTM 572 grade. Under the Document Materials area of the browser I picked the A572 and the picked the edit button on the far right.  This brings up the Material Editor. I went to the Physical tab and checked the Yield Strength and Tensile Strength against the Steel book. The default A572 material is actually A572-50. I left it as is and got out of it. Then I went to the bottom left corner of the Material Browser and there is an option to create a new material. I copied and renamed the A572 to A572-50 and copied it again, checked the Yield Strength and Tensile Strength against the Steel book for A572-65, edited those values and named it A572-65. Once you know how and if you have a Steel book and know how to look up those values it’s a piece of cake.

The problem was that I couldn’t find any of this documented anywhere. I hope this helps someone else. I'm sure others have already figured this out but it was a big deal to me.

Lloyd

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report